Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
well guys i have gone for madriva 2006 only because i have manged to get a copy of it.. i am about to install it and let you all knoe ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

well guys i have gone for madriva 2006 only because i have manged to get a copy of it.. i am about to install it and let you all knoe how i get on and thanks for the help

Just Joined!
    i am vaing problems installing simple things like flash and java . iam using the free version of mandriva 2006

Just Joined!
    I have Mandrake 10.1 recently installed on my home computer by my son. He spent a lot of time setting it up for me. I know very little but keen to learn. Should I do my learning on 10.1 or should I go to 2006 and if I do will I need to get my son to spend some time on it for me to get to the stage where I can start learning?
    Also my home computer needs to be usable for my wife. It is at present with 10.1. Perhaps I should just go for 2006 on my laptop and do my learning there? All thoughts a
    /advice welcome.

Just Joined!
    Another possibility. Seems Mandriva is quite keen to have us buy their product.
    Just been checking out SUSE and they seem more open to open-ness?
    Anyones thoughts on suitability of SUSE for my purposes and should I download their evaluation version or the OSS version? Thinking I will partition my laptop.

Just Joined!
    can any 1 help me i have downloaded java runtime for this what would the command be to intall this be

@Spine:

Try 'em both out! I am a HUGE fan of SuSE, but you might find Mandriva more to your liking. I do highly recommend SuSE though.

As far as the openSUSE vs. Eval version, it depends on your personal preference. Personally, I don't limit myself to only GPL'd software, so I like having the nVidia drivers and my JDK made available for me.

If you refuse to use proprietary stuff, then use openSUSE. Otherwise, I'd go for Eval.

@scottishhaggis

You downloaded the JRE from the Java Sun site?

Make sure that you downloaded the .rpm version. Then, in the commandline:
    Code:
    cd /path/to/the/downloaded/file
    urpmi foo.rpm
    That should install it for you. Obviously, replace "foo.rpm" with the actual name of the RPM.

Just Joined!
    Now downloading SuSE 10.0 evaluation version which I will run on a partition on my laptop. Will stick with Mandrake 10.1 at home for the time being while I do my learning on SuSE 10.0.
    BTW SuSE 10.1 is now available - free only, for developers (anyone who is interested).
    Guess I'll be mainly on the SuSE help forum from now on.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3