Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
I have a Dell Inspiron 600m, in which I have two HDD's, but since the HDD tray can only hold one at a time I bought a second HD tray ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Wink

I have a Dell Inspiron 600m,
    in which I have two HDD's, but since the HDD tray can only hold one at a time I bought a second HD tray on Ebay. Now I can simply swap OS's as if it were a cartridge(by shutting the system down first of course ).

On the original drive that came with the laptop, which is 40Gb Seagate, I have WinXP Home.

On the second drive, which is an 80Gb Toshiba, I have Gentoo 2005.1 via Jackass Optimized Toolkit.

I have three desktops which were given to me over the years, HP, an old Compaq, and an even older Sony Vaio. I already installed Slackware-10.2 on the Compaq and I'm interested in putting the same on the HP.

Linux Engineer
    There are quite a few BSD-like distros out atm. Slackware, Gentoo and Arch (and probably many others as well) all have some similarities, for example slackware has stuff like a MAKEDEV-script, adduser script etc. Gentoo has Portage, a compilation system pretty close to the *BSD ports/pkgsrc-system. Arch has pacman, which reminds me a bit of the *BSD pkg_add, and ABS, another ports/pkgsrc-like compilation system. Arch and Slackware both use the /etc/rc.d hierarchy.

If you are evaluating to install slackware, I would say go for it; Slackware is one of the two distros which have thought me the most about linux, the other one is gentoo.

Just Joined!
    I have been using Gentoo for the better part of a year now on my laptop and I have become comfortable enough to solve most of the issues I run into on my own. However, I have been wanting to dive into Slackware completely for a while now and since I have these extra desktops sitting around I figured now is a good a time as any to dig into it. Especially since Slackware is more of a hands on distro, I think it will definitely help me fill in the knoweledge gaps from being accustomed to Gentoo. Of course don't get me wrong about Gentoo, learning to tame that bull is no easy task. However, it is a distro well worth learning.

hard to use too
    \"TTFN Taa Taa For Now\" by Tigger in Winnie the Pooh
    http://www.distrowatch.com Linux Distros
    We Live in a Windows World but there is Linux to save the day

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2