Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
I decided to give Slackware another try the other night, I got all the packages installed fine and everything but when it came time to reboot after installing packages from ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    kbk

Trouble installing Slackware

I decided to give Slackware another try the other night, I got all the packages installed fine and everything but when it came time to reboot after installing packages from disk 2, it didn't work. Should I erase my entire HDD before trying it again? When it reboted GRUB tried to boot into SuSE, and I thought I took that off there. I also thought that the Slackware installer would erase the drive...

Personally I would double-check the grub settings. Knoppix can be handy to read the hard drive when you can't quite boot into an installed distribution.

Linux Engineer
    You've got a SuSE already installed? If so, configure GRUB from SuSE. Now, if you don't have SuSE anymor eand you're just overwriting that partition with Slackware.. make sure you install LILO into the MBR (this is the step you forgot or maybe you thought that it would erase everything.
    serzsite.com.ar
    "All the drugs in this world won\'t save you from yourself"

kbk
    Thanks serz, you're absolutely right, I thought it would erase everything. One question about that though, the MBR is in the HDD correct? It won't effect my other KNOPPIX drive will it?

Linux Engineer
    No, it won't touch your Knoppix installation.

Now, my question is, how do you boot Knoppix? Is it on another drive or something?
    serzsite.com.ar

kbk
    Yes it's another drive, and whenever I test a new distro I put it on my other HDD and unplug my main one so nothing happens to it. Now I have ran into another problem with Slackware. It reboots now, and says login to darkstar (or something similar) and I just type in root and my password. Then it does nothing from that point. What's wrong with it now?

Linux Engineer
    What do you mean.. you can login but nothing happens, you're not even prompted to type in commands or you are getting Incorrect Password error?

To start the graphical interface.. type "startx".
    serzsite.com.ar

kbk
    I knew the pass and everything, but there was no graphic interface. So I guess this will solve my problems. If I have anything else go wrong I'll ask. Thanks for the help.

kbk
    I did have more problems. When I type in startx it gives me an error message, it was quite long and so I didn't write it all down or anything (sorry). Should I re-install or is there something else I should do?

kbk
    Anyone know anything about this?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast