Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi Everyone! I am a newbie to Linux. Background : I installed Debian Linux in a partition in my PC (Pentium 2 400 mhz). It is working well but I ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Newbie Question - problem installing package

Hi Everyone!

I am a newbie to Linux.

Background : I installed Debian Linux in a partition in my PC (Pentium 2 400 mhz). It is working well but I face some problems while installing packages.

For example : I am trying to install libqt3-dev. It has lot of dependant packages. When I use aptitude and choose libqt3-dev to be installed, aptitude resolves dependencies and selects all packages OK. But when I run the install, it aborts with following messages.....

Retrieving bug reports... 0% [0/21] W: getaddrinfo: Temporary failure in name resolution: xlibmesa-gl-dev
    W: getaddrinfo: Temporary failure in name resolution: libxrandr-dev
    W: getaddrinfo: Temporary failure in name resolution: liblcms1-dev
    W: getaddrinfo: Temporary failure in name resolution: libqt3-compat-headers
    W: getaddrinfo: Temporary failure in name resolution: libxmu-dev
    W: getaddrinfo: Temporary failure in name resolution: libice-dev
    ... E: Too many errors while retrieving bug reports
    E: Sub-process if dpkg -s apt-listbugs | grep -q '^Status: .* ok installed'; then /usr/sbin/apt-listbugs apt || ( test $? -ne 10 || exit 10; echo 'Warning: apt-listbugs exited abnormally, hit enter key to continue.' 1>&2 ; read a < /dev/tty ); fi returned an error code (10)
    E: Failure running script if dpkg -s apt-listbugs | grep -q '^Status: .* ok installed'; then /usr/sbin/apt-listbugs apt || ( test $? -ne 10 || exit 10; echo 'Warning: apt-listbugs exited abnormally, hit enter key to continue.' 1>&2 ; read a < /dev/tty ); fi
    Ack! Something bad happened while installing packages. Tryin

UNQOUTE

It seems to be trying to retrieve bug lists for the packages... but on reaching a threshold, it stops. Is there a way to get around this?

* I have not enabled internet connection from debian yet.

I would appreciate any help.

Best regards,
    raj.

Use apt. As root:
    Code:
    apt-cache search package
    This will search for the package on debian servers.
    Code:
    apt-get install package
    This way you will install packages with all dependinces. You could use as:
    Code:
    apt-get install package1 package2 ...
    Code:
    man apt
    For more informations about apt

Also, the packages in debian are with .deb extension. You could use dpkg for depackage .deb packages. See
    Code:
    man dpkg
    and
    Code:
    man dpkg-deb
    dpkg is used somenthing like rpm.
    Code:
    dpkg -i package.deb

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Quote Originally Posted by smtncrc
    Hi Everyone!
    * I have not enabled internet connection from debian yet.
    Thats your problem right here: no internet connection.

If you are using Debian Sarge, apt-get never fails unless you have a connection problem.

The file /etc/apt/sources.list refer to many internet sites to download packages.

If you do
    Code:
    apt-get update
    I'm sure you will get errors as well.

If you do not want to download package from the internet but only install packages from your CDs/DVDs then edit /etc/apt/sources.list accordingly.

You can do it!
    "To express yourself in freedom, you must die to everything of yesterday. From the 'old', you derive security; from the 'new', you gain the flow."

-Bruce Lee

Just Joined!
    Antidrugue,

I removed the lines referring to web sites from sources.list as you suggested. I still get the same error messages. Could this be because of damaged CD image or something? I observed while using aptitude that package downloads are OK form the CD Rom but error occurs while trying to regrieve bug list for selected packages, that too if the # of packages is > 6. Is there a way to disable this or increase the threshold form 6 to 20?

Synaptic package manager displayed some error message like "wrong CD".

Cheers,
    Raj.

Just Joined!
    Got around this problem by commenting out apt-listbugs shell script which checks for return code of 10 when it does'nt find bug reports for packages.

File name is 10apt-listbugs in directory apt.conf.d.

use apt-config dump to check whether modification is picked up or not.

My next step is to make my zyxel prestige 630 to work with my debian. It seems to be a very cumbersome process as per my understanding so far--- like rebuilding kernel from source....... I succeeded to build the source but dont know how to boot from the new kernel. Any tips on this regard would be much appreciated.

Raj.........