Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi, I'm new to linux and am currently using suse. I've been trying to install applications but with no success. I have read a guide on this but application installs ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

installing applications in linux

Hi,
    I'm new to linux and am currently using suse. I've been trying to install applications but with no success. I have read a guide on this but application installs did not work. Can anyone clearly and simply explain to me how to install applications in linux?
    Thanks in advance.

what applications are you trying to install ? a bit more info would be nice

andy
    SLOMO: acer extensa 5235 2.2ghz,2gb ram 160gb hdd wireless
    SPEEDY: homebrew desktop,Amd x2 dualcore,2gb ram,500gb +1tb( 2x500gb) hdd suse 11.3,32mb fibreline
    registered linux user #401845

Just Joined!
    several different ones, all with different file extensions, all are compressed but after extracting them where do I go from there?

open up a konsole, cd to the directory you extracted it to, type ./configure, press enter. let it do it's stuff. once finished type make,press enter. let it do it's stuff. once finished type su make install, press enter, enter root password press enter, let it do it's stuff & you should have the program installed.
    before you do any of that, make sure you have the kernel sources installed, gcc installed, make installed, then do the above

andy
    SLOMO: acer extensa 5235 2.2ghz,2gb ram 160gb hdd wireless
    SPEEDY: homebrew desktop,Amd x2 dualcore,2gb ram,500gb +1tb( 2x500gb) hdd suse 11.3,32mb fibreline
    registered linux user #401845

Just Joined!
    thanks, I'll try it.

First, I need to know what distro you are using. Some distros have things like yum or apt-get that makes life easier.

If you have a programname.tar.gz or any compressed file. Uncompress it to where ever you like.
    Now, if you go to the directory where you have uncompressed everything, there should be a text file called INSTALL or README. Read them, they usually have installation instruction.
    If not just type in your console (without the >>)
    >>./configure
    >>make
    >>make install
    that works about 90% of the time.

As you are using SuSE, I HIGHLY recommend that you make use of the YaST package manager. It handles downloading the package, as well as taking care of any and all dependency issues.

For a guide on setting up YaST to use online repositories:

http://www.novell.com/coolsolutions/feature/11504.html