Find the answer to your Linux question:
I have a suse linux system that is running at a crawl. Is there anyway to check the processor load. Is there a tool similar to windows task manager or ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

linux running at a crawl speed

I have a suse linux system that is running at a crawl. Is there anyway to check the processor load. Is there a tool similar to windows task manager or is there a option to boot into a 'safe mode' similar to windows?

oz
    forum.guy
    If you want a system monitor, you could check out conky, torsmo, gkrellm, or gdesklets. Maybe someone else will list some of the others that are available.

Just Joined!
    Problem is this thing is running so slow it will barely boot up.
    Is there a safe mode type boot I could try?

oz
    forum.guy
    I'm not sure how your GRUB menu is setup, but I was thinking that Suse usually offers a safe mode at system boot.

If you can get it to boot, use the "ps aux" command to check each process and its CPU usage.

This might help you identify the culprit.

EDIT:

qub, I know, but I find it much easier to check things all at once with ps rather than having top change every now and then. Plus, grep works with ps .

Quote Originally Posted by Cabhan
    If you can get it to boot, use the "ps aux" command to check each process and its CPU usage.

The command line program 'top' runs along those same lines.

Its liklely that your starting a ton of unneeded services in the background, so check and see if you have perhaps a httpd or apache process (webserver) running. If you don't need it, kill it!

The other major performance booster i have found is prelinking, download the prelink tool and run (as root)

prelink -afmRv
    Avoid the Gates of Hell. Use Linux
    A Penny for your Thoughts

Formerly Known as qub333

If your boot loader doesn't give you a safe mode, then try selecting the option to edit command line parameters to the kernel. Add the word 'single' to the end of the parameter line, and you'll boot up into runlevel 1 - single user mode and get a command prompt. You can tinker from there. Dont think this is a safe mode, however, as it's more a 'dangerous mode'. You have root access and can break things badly, so think before you issue any commands.
    Linux user #126863 - see http://linuxcounter.net/

Also, what kind of a machine are you running Suse on? It tends to be quite resource-heavy, in my experience.