Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi all, I am still fairly new to the linux game and I am learning quickly, however I am having one prob that bothers me, I am using Kubuntu 5.10 ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Removable Flash Media

Hi all,

I am still fairly new to the linux game and I am learning quickly, however I am having one prob that bothers me, I am using Kubuntu 5.10 and whenever I plug my 512mb sandisk cruzer micro in, it shows up on my desktop, but when I open it I get the message

Error-konqueror

Could not mount device
    The reported error was:
    [mntent]: warning: no final newline at end of /etc/fstab
    mount: can't find /dev/sda1 in /etc/fstab or /etc/mtab

What do I have to do? The system sees the drive other wise it shouldnt show up on my desktop, right?

here is my fstab.

# /etc/fstab: static file system information.
    #
    # <file system> <mount point> <type> <options> <dump> <pass>
    proc /proc proc defaults 0 0
    /dev/hda2 / ext3 defaults,errors=remount-ro 0 1
    /dev/hda5 none swap sw 0 0
    /dev/hdc /media/cdrom0 udf,iso9660 user,noauto 0 0
    /dev/fd0 /media/floppy0 auto rw,user,noauto 0 0
    /dev/hda1 /media/windows ntfs nls=utf8,umask=0222 0 0

any help would be great!
    Thanks.

The warning about a newline is only that - a warning. You can fix it by putting a blank line at the end of your /etc/fstab file.

What appears to be happening is that the flash card (/dev/sda1) has no mount point defined for it in /etc/fstab. Try adding one, see the man page for fstab for help, but it should look something like this:

/dev/sda1 /media/flash vfat defaults 0 0

and make sure that the /media/flash folder exists (use mkdir if it doesn't).
    Linux user #126863 - see http://linuxcounter.net/

What is a blank line? sorry to be so ingnorant, just want to learn, by the way, how do you delete a dir if I dont want it anymore? like in my media folder?
    Thanks man

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    edit: wow i don't know what happened but after i sent that thread, i checked in my media folder and there mounted was sda1 in a folder and i could access it, now i pull off my flash drive and reinsert it and it mounts and pulls it up in konq in the media/sda1 folder. funny, i didnt config it to do that, i wonder if i try another flash drive if it will still work, anyway, thanks for your help.

edit2: I tried my other flash drive and it gave me the same error, so i closed the box and went to the media folder again, and there it is! how ever it was named sdb1, so i safely removed it and tried it again, same thing, error, closed, media folder, and now it named it sdc1, how can i keep this from happening?

Quote Originally Posted by jrsoit
    What is a blank line? sorry to be so ingnorant, just want to learn, by the way, how do you delete a dir if I dont want it anymore? like in my media folder?
    Thanks man
    As root, open up /etc/fstab, move to the last line, enter the line which Roxoff mentioned (the /dev/sda1...) and after that move to a new line (which makes a blank line) and save.

thanks guys