Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
i want to install gentoo...but im not sure if between 8 an 10 gigs is enough space for it? if it is can i use a partitioner (i have a ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Would between 8 an 10 gigs be enough space for gentoo?

i want to install gentoo...but im not sure if between 8 an 10 gigs is enough space for it? if it is can i use a partitioner (i have a CD of a partitioning prog some where) to set up a 10 gig spot for gentoo? and will i be able to install gentoo there?

oz
    forum.guy
    That should be plenty of space unless you intend to install a huge amount of applications, or store lots of miscellaneous files.

Just Joined!
    so i can partition 10gigs of my windows 2k hard drive into (???) what can i partition it into...windows is in NTFS so which File system should i partition the 10G in

oz
    forum.guy
    I use ext3 because it works well for me but lots of users are going with one of the reiser file systems. You'll need to determine what Linux partitions you want to use and what size to make them. You'll need at least a root partition (/) and probably a swap file, but you might also want a /boot partition and /home partition, or any one of several others.

I generally make mine as follows:

/ (about 5 or 6 gigs)
    swap (512 megs)
    /home (3 to 6 gigs)

Lots of info about it and examples can be found in the Gentoo handbook.

Just Joined!
    ok well im off to d/l the gentoo CD's an then take a whack at the install...thanks ozar

oz
    forum.guy
    You don't have to print out the Gentoo Handbook, as there are other ways to access it during the install, but I always recommend printing it out and then following each step precisely. If you do this, you should have a working Gentoo system when you're done.

Be prepared to spend a few days on the install if you do a full installation from Stage 1.

Don't be too upset if it doesn't work the first time, as it takes lots of first-time Gentoo installers several attempts to get it right.

Have fun with it, and good luck!

Just Joined!
    i may suggest not doing a gentoo install if it is not your first try at linux...
    it requires basic knowledge of how to configure pretty much everything.

as for the partitioning, be careful...i've deleted 30gb of files that i kinda needed when messing with partition tables.

Just Joined!
    ive actually been running linux since 98...but this is my snd try at gentoo (first time failed horribly...didnt have a printer, nor under standing of it...that was a year and a half ago) i printed out the quick install guide and the handbook its self, i d/l'd the universal installer...i didnt see any thing about stages on the gentoo site...i just got done backing up my windows 2k incase i screw up with the partitioning...how do i do a stage 3, and do i need to d/l the CD or can i d/l files and what not from with in links?

EDIT: after backing up files and making sure nothing was taking up space, i now have 42gigs free...deleted atleast 10gigs of mp3's and music videos that i put on my lyra....so i think im going to shoot for 13 gigs for gentoo...still looking for a stage 3 via torrent though

13 gigs will be more than enough. I've got around 10 gigs, with Gnome, fluxbox, enlightenment, the full OpenOffice 2.0, Gimp... installed.

For the stage three, just follow the guidebook to the letter. I downloaded the cd and started from there, then later emerged (installed) things like a GUI, firefox, etc.

You can find the torrent by going to the gentoo website (www.gentoo.org) and clicking on the left side (in the menu) where it says "Gentoo BitTorrents". Just make sure you d/l the correct one! You should probably go for 'install-x86-universal-2005.1-r1.iso', it's somewhere in the middle.

Just Joined!
    ACK i kinda screwed up partitioning the drive...i only have 7.2 gigs after about 7hours of watching the partitioning program run in dos scrolling by i was able to finally set up (thought was atleast 10 but guess not) so i have 7.2gigs formatted in reiser would that be good? <prays no more dos NO MORE IT BURNS ME RETINA!> lol

EDIT: i cant find a stage 3 d/l...would that be the "packages" CD they list?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast