Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
My first, and current, distribution was/is Slackware and I don't regret it so far. Sure, their package management system isn't as easy to use as say emerge or apt-get but ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux Newbie

My first, and current, distribution was/is Slackware and I don't regret it so far. Sure, their package management system isn't as easy to use as say emerge or apt-get but I quite like the way it's done. Download the source code from the developers and compile so you get the program the developers wanted you to get. Other distributions supposedly *tweak* them somehow.

Though saying this I'm actually some sort of Gentoo LiveCD at the moment :P

Quote Originally Posted by Dante_Caligari
    Yeah, Fedora was my first choice. (I have done some homework, and I am friends with my System Admin at my school, and he is a genius when it comes to Linux.)

I did not know that the graphical interface was an add-on.

I looked at the installation files on the Fedora webpage -- Do they have the graphic add-on's included in the installation on that page, or do you have to go elsewhere to get them?
    Yes, when you install FC, you get the whole shebang. I can't recall if they install KDE or Gnome as the default, but you definitely get the GUI.

The only distros where you don't get it by default, as I recall, are those with a more "Customize Me!" focus, such as Gentoo or Debian.

"Which Linux" is perhaps the single most popular question on this forum, so forgive me for being brusque here. There are many helpful resources available to those who don't know which to try. One good central repository for reviews, download links, and news regarding Linux distributions is DistroWatch. I suggest you start there.
    Registered Linux user #270181
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2