Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
I am a beginner on Linux, and being a Windows user all my life, I want to try an alternate OS. Seing as though I have never used Linux, and ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

The Best Graphics-Based OS

I am a beginner on Linux, and being a Windows user all my life, I want to try an alternate OS. Seing as though I have never used Linux, and the multitude of versions, what is in your opinion, the best graphics based OS I should install?

oz
    forum.guy
    Hi there, DC, and welcome to the board.

When you say "OS", if you mean distributions, I don't think any of them are based on graphics. They all have a base installation that allows one to boot into text mode, and all the graphic stuff is really considered add-ons. Some distros would probably be considered loaded with graphics features, though.

Not sure, but maybe I've misunderstood your post.

kbk
    I think he just means one of the distros that uses graphics more than others. Such as Fedora is mostly text based, and others like KNOPPIX or Ubuntu are more graphical. As for a reccomendation I would reccomend KNOPPIX or Ubuntu for a more graphical distro. Or you could do some research on distrowatch.com and see if there is anything there that sounds appealing.

Just Joined!
    Hello there, DC.

I've been a Windows user all my life as well, and started using Linux OS now just recently.

The first distro I tried was FC4 (fedora.redhat.com). It has a easy, graphical install and also it mounts you're partitions automatically. Allover I'd say that the FC4 install is even easier than installing Windows XP.

So if you're looking for something easy and userfriendly than FC4 is the way to go.

kbk
    I have always heard from my few friends that use Linux that FC is one of the most difficult distros to use. They all say that everything with it is very advanced and not very easy to use especially for newbies.

FC is fairly cutting-edge, so there is a risk of instability. Also, I've had a few compatibility crashes when it comes to Internet.

I'd recommend SuSE. It's a commercially developed distro with a free "Evaluation" version. Very graphical, a great package manager, and all in all, quite nice.

http://www.suse.com

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by kbk
    I have always heard from my few friends that use Linux that FC is one of the most difficult distros to use. They all say that everything with it is very advanced and not very easy to use especially for newbies.
    Seriously?

Well, I didn't have any problems using it as my first Linux distro. Had the whole thing up and running in less than half an hour.

Can't see whats so difficult about it..

kbk
    Perhaps it's just preference then. I know that I started with Debian based distros (KNOPPIX, Ubuntu, etc) and I have tried some other ones and didn't really care for them. So I guess it all depends on what you started with. My number 1 problem with linux was setting up my stupid (yeah stupid) wireless network, with every other distro besides KNOPPIX I couldn't get ndiswrapper to work or install at all.

Just Joined!
    Yeah, Fedora was my first choice. (I have done some homework, and I am friends with my System Admin at my school, and he is a genius when it comes to Linux.)

I did not know that the graphical interface was an add-on.

I looked at the installation files on the Fedora webpage -- Do they have the graphic add-on's included in the installation on that page, or do you have to go elsewhere to get them?

Linux Enthusiast
    I vote for SuSE. FC4 is too cutting edge for me, one who enjoys stability. However, my production servers have either CentOS or SuSE installed. I just like SuSE to tell you the truth.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast