Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Hello, I have an AMD 350 with 64 megs of ram. I was hoping to setup a linux box, and host my website from it. So, I was hoping to ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Hello, I have an AMD 350 with 64 megs of ram. I was hoping to setup a linux box, and host my website from it. So, I was hoping to run linux, a webserver, and maybe a file server...
    Sounds like you don't need to run X? If that's true, any number of distros should do nicely.

If you need to run X, there are already some good recommendations on this thread. For a window manager you'll need something really lightweight like fluxbox or blackbox.

Remember, Linux can run as a CLI environment on really low-end boxes. But don't expect a nice graphical environment - i.e. a miracle - on that hardware. Imagine trying to run XP on that..? (If you could even get it to install.)

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by gtmtnbiker98
    SuSE is definitely out. I had to upgrade my P4 2.4 with 256 MB RAM to 512 MB RAM to achieve decent performance.
    hehe, p4-2.4 with 512ram....I bet that mobo will take 2+ gigs of ram. Don't be shy, take one for yourself what cpu are you running? I'm usenig a AMD XP2600 clocked @ 2000 MHz stable. I can clock higher, but run into issues gamming. I need to learn more about bus speed.

Just Joined!
    Remember, Linux can run as a CLI environment on really low-end boxes. But don't expect a nice graphical environment - i.e. a miracle - on that hardware. Imagine trying to run XP on that..? (If you could even get it to install.)
    Well, actually it is certainly possible to use a graphical environment on anything with more than 16MB RAM, but the popular desktop environments like Gnome/KDE will be really unusable on them. By switching to a light window manager like IceWM, Fluxbox or EDE, you can run even bloated distributions like Suse on old hardware.

Distributions like DSL, Deli and Vector use fast software out of the box such that they can be used on older hardware, but with a little work you can achieve that on any distro.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    That's why I suggested fluxbox or blackbox. Personally it would drive me bonkers to run any window manager on 16+ MB RAM, but to each his own. 64MB RAM and old-ish CPU? Maybe - OP will have to try it out if that's what he wants.

The point is the OP's expectations should be realistic with that hardware.

oz
    forum.guy
    A pruned version of Slackware would probably work well, or perhaps try Zenwalk (based on Slackware), or DSL, as was mentioned earlier.

Damn Small Linux

Yes, Suse is definatly out, Id go for Damn Small Linux

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2