Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Hello, I have an AMD 350 with 64 megs of ram. I was hoping to setup a linux box, and host my website from it. So, I was hoping to ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Which Distro?

Hello, I have an AMD 350 with 64 megs of ram. I was hoping to setup a linux box, and host my website from it. So, I was hoping to run linux, a webserver, and maybe a file server. I downloaded suse 10, and later found out there's no way I can run this distro (ie. i'd need a much bigger system with more ram). I was told that linux can run on older systems with not a whole lot of ram, which is what led me down this path.
    So, is there a distro. that will fit my system, and my (wish list) requirments?
    I'd appreciate any opinions, as I am brand new to linux but very eager to learn.
    thank you...
    Todd

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Todd Harvey
    Hello, I have an AMD 350 with 64 megs of ram. I was hoping to setup a linux box, and host my website from it. So, I was hoping to run linux, a webserver, and maybe a file server. I downloaded suse 10, and later found out there's no way I can run this distro (ie. i'd need a much bigger system with more ram). I was told that linux can run on older systems with not a whole lot of ram, which is what led me down this path.
    I'd appreciate any opinions, as I am brand new to linux but very eager to learn.
    thank you...
    Todd
    Most distros do run on that hardware. It's just that most of them come with very fancy GUIs for desktop use. For a web server you don't need all that. Just don't install X.

Linux Enthusiast
    maybe Damn Small Linux? You may not be able to use X (the GUI) if you want to run Linux smoothly on little RAM.

Just Joined!
    thank you...
    Todd
    Hi Todd Harvey:

You shoul check www.distrowatch.com

I just like fedora so I will recommend fedora.

Just Joined!
    you could try slackware. as mentioned earlier, you probably don't need a GUI, but slackware is known for it's stability. as is debian. you may want to look into both of those.

Just Joined!

my advice

Get your hands on about $170 which will buy you a socket A motherboard+
    1.8gz duron cpu+ 500mb memory. Then you can use any OS.

Just Joined!
    You could try Vector Linux - www.vectorlinux.com

It's based on slackware, and is easier to install. It is also optimised for older computers, and incase you need X Windows, you will find a lot of fast GUI software to work with.

Just Joined!
    thank you...
    Todd
    look for an older version of Mandrake, like 8.0-10.1....I beleive you can still get updates for those distros. I know alot of people like Fedora, but I don't recomend it. I'm not sure if Ubuntu 5.10 will run a GUI on that system, but the server needs 64 megabytes ram & 500 megabytes h/d space.

hehe, remember when 32 megs of ram would be more than enough for anything, and you'ld never run out of room on a 2 gig hard drive
    or Bill Gates saying "no one will ever need more than 4 megs of memory" :drown:

Linux Enthusiast
    SuSE is definitely out. I had to upgrade my P4 2.4 with 256 MB RAM to 512 MB RAM to achieve decent performance.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast