Find the answer to your Linux question:
I want to install the overclockix live cd to my second hd.During the install I get the choice to install lilo to the mbr or the root partition. I have ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Bootloader install question

I want to install the overclockix live cd to my second hd.During the install I get the choice to install lilo to the mbr or the root partition.
    I have winxp and mandriva 2006 in my first hd and I use grub for the bootloader.I would like to keep it this way.
    Should I install lilo to the root partition?

Thanks

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by /bin/idiot
    I want to install the overclockix live cd to my second hd.During the install I get the choice to install lilo to the mbr or the root partition.
    I have winxp and mandriva 2006 in my first hd and I use grub for the bootloader.I would like to keep it this way.
    Should I install lilo to the root partition?

Thanks
    boot into Mandriva, and add overclockix to Grub. Lilo will see XP & Mandriva. If not, I know with Mandrake I could reinstall the boot loader useing the install CD in rescue mode. I suspect Mandriva keept this feature. If you do it that way, all OS's should show up.

Just Joined!
    boot into Mandriva, and add overclockix to Grub.
    I wish it were that simple.I need to get it into a partition first.
    I have tried a few other distros and they always had the option "dont install bootloader" during install.Once installed I then [grub-install /dev/hda0] and add to grubs /menu.lst something like:
    Mandy 06 (hda,0)
    root (hd0,0)
    chainloader+1
    and they always boot.
    I'm kinda new to linux and I was just afraid I would lose mand.2006.I have an enormous amount of time in customizing kde.Which in itself is awesome.choices,choices,choices!(I've not booted xp in over a month )
    Thanks for the info.

Just Joined!
    I know with Mandrake I could reinstall the boot loader useing the install CD in rescue mode.
    obx-jdt That worked great.Thanks.I never thought of doing it that way.

I do have one small problem.It wont boot.
    I actually installed dsl.The installer for overclockix kept getting hung.

Dsl booted fine on its own.after I re-installed mandy's grub,added the dsl info to menu.lst and tried to boot dsl I got a grub "error 13,invalid or unsupported executable format".

Dsl uses grub 0.91 and mandy uses grub 0.97.Could this be the problem?
    I am using the grub graphical interface in Mandriva if that makes a difference.

Thanks alot.