Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
....with Suze and/or Mandriva distros in my hand and ready to go. I'll be completely honest - I'm scared I'll break my perfectly smooth running 3.4Ghz/1G ram/200G/40G twin hd system. ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

TOTAL Newbie poised and ready.....

....with Suze and/or Mandriva distros in my hand and ready to go.

I'll be completely honest - I'm scared I'll break my perfectly smooth running 3.4Ghz/1G ram/200G/40G twin hd system.

I use my machine specifically for video editing and surfing. Will I still have access to my favourite programs to carry on with my work under Linux? Is the installation of Suze or Mandriva reversible if I don't like it?

Much appologies if this is beneath any of you to answer, but I'd really like to try something new and have been flirting with idea of Linux for years.
    Thanks

Paul

Just Joined!
    I urge you to come to the light side. You won't turn back Both Suse and Mandriva are excellent distros for beginners. I personally run Mandriva, and love it. The installation is completely painless and completely reversible. During installation, you will install a bootloader that allows you to choose which operating system to boot every time you turn on your computer, so you can toy with linux a bit, then work with windows. Then toy with linux a bit longer and back to windows. To uninstall linux, it's as simple as deleting the partitions and running fixmbr from your windows disc.
    Kevin

Quote Originally Posted by rossi46
    ....with Suze and/or Mandriva distros in my hand and ready to go.

I'll be completely honest - I'm scared I'll break my perfectly smooth running 3.4Ghz/1G ram/200G/40G twin hd system.
    There's nothing wrong with that fear. It's what will keep you careful. I would certainly take a long hard look at your situation first though, before you risk screwing up a perfectly good system. (Note: I said risk. It's quite possible you'll have no trouble at all.)

I use my machine specifically for video editing and surfing. Will I still have access to my favourite programs to carry on with my work under Linux? Is the installation of Suze or Mandriva reversible if I don't like it?
    You won't be able to run MS Windows software in Linux without emulation, and even then it's not going to run as well as in MS Windows. If you have software you like in MS Windows, use it there. Nothing wrong with running a dual-boot.

If you install Linux on a separate harddrive, it will make both installing and uninstalling (in case you don't like it) much easier. Even if you install it on the same drive however, there are ways to wipe it.

Much appologies if this is beneath any of you to answer, but I'd really like to try something new and have been flirting with idea of Linux for years.
    Thanks

Paul
    Haha. As much as some of us might like it, we're not overlords in this forum. You're interested in Linux, and that's good. We try to weed out people who are too full of themselves to help a "lowly n00b".
    Registered Linux user #270181
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Linux Enthusiast
    For hardware detection, I highly recommend using SuSE as your first distro. Although I must caution you, I'm a bit biased towards SuSE - it just works!

God, I've fallen at the first hurdle :drown:
    Suze ran through the spec and requirements of my machine, offered me the suggested route to take and invited me to accept.

It started shrinking the windows installation partition down to 131GB then came up with an error and couldn't continue. I tried the whole thing again and the same thing happened.

Much to my extreme embarassment, I didn't write down the error mumber, I just re-booted and came back on here.

I tried Mandriva before, but couldn't work out the partition page in the installation set-up. (It told me I didn't have enogh free space to auto-configure)

Am I stuck?

oz
    forum.guy
    You might need to defragment Windows before starting your Suse install.

Quote Originally Posted by ozar
    You might need to defragment Windows before starting your Suse install.
    If you're going to be shrinking an existing NTFS (Windows XP/2000/NT) harddrive partition, I strongly suggest you do just that. Boot into "Safe Mode" and run the MS Windows Disk Defragmenter. Depending on your amount of fragmentation and free disk space, this can take several hours.
    Registered Linux user #270181
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants

defragging now..........zzzzzzzzzzzz

Quote Originally Posted by rossi46
    defragging now..........zzzzzzzzzzzz
    LOL. Ain't windows a bore...
    It may be that your sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

Done!!

First impressions are good. I chose the gnome desktop and it looks very clean and un-cluttered. There are a couple of things that are bothering me though: My Geforce FX5500 card doesn't seem to be supported in Suse 10.0, which is a bit of a concern for video editing. The other, and more important, concern that I have is my AOL connection. Currently I'm on a 2meg broadband connection which is soon to upgraded to 8 meg. How do I configure AOL to run in Suse? At full speed? Sorry if this query is in the wrong thread now - hey mods! feel free to move it!

cheers

Paul

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast