Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi, im new to linux and have been trying to get the hang of it, i have been experiencing problems installing tar.gz files, and have been reading the tutorial, but ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Trouble with ./configure

Hi, im new to linux and have been trying to get the hang of it, i have been experiencing problems installing tar.gz files, and have been reading the tutorial, but when i get to "./configure" i get a message saying "bash: ./configure: No such file or directory". I follow all the previous steps and had no problem. I have checked on YAST and have gcc and make installed, but not all of them, is there any specific ones i need? please help.
    Also, how can i have full root privileges while logged in as my user account, or i have to login as root, and if so how do i do that?
    Thanks a lot

Linux Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by khan
    Also, how can i have full root privileges while logged in as my user account, or i have to login as root, and if so how do i do that?
    In terminal, type:
    Code:
    su
    <your root password>
    That's it. You are root now.

Stick with it!

Hi!

In regards to being new to Linux, so am I, but stick with it, cause in the end it is worth it!

Only a couple of days ago I was asking the same questions, I recommend that you read all of my recent posts, It sounds as though your having the same problems as myself.

http://www.linuxforums.org/forum/t52...-plz-help.html

Hope this helps

EXWinUser

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Just Joined!
    thanks, i checked them out but my issue is a lil different, i have also posted on the suse linux forum, but ur posts have other valuable info.

Quote Originally Posted by khan
    Hi, im new to linux and have been trying to get the hang of it, i have been experiencing problems installing tar.gz files, and have been reading the tutorial, but when i get to "./configure" i get a message saying "bash: ./configure: No such file or directory".
    Not all TAR.GZ files are created equal. Some don't actually include a "configure" script, and if they do, they're not always executable. To see if there's a "configure" script, go to the directory in which you extracted the TAR.GZ and type ls -al to list the contents of it. If you see a "configure", look out to the left and see if it has something that looks like "----rwxr-x" next to it. If the third letter isn't an X it's not executable. You can make it so like this:
    Code:
    chmod +x configure
    If the configure file doesn't exist, skip that step and go straight to make. Hope that helps.
    Registered Linux user #270181
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants

Just Joined!
    thanks, i will try it out next time if i need to, i installed the divx through YAST, now i dont know where to find it :/, also i deleted some files while logging in as file manager super user mode, but when i go in as my own user i see the files, but i cannot delete or run them, and when i login as super user they arent there, can anyone explain this?
    Thanks a lot

First, the title of your post really should say something like "Cannot use ./configure" or something to that degree so people know what the post is about.

After you decompressed your filename.tar.gz file, did you go "cd ./filename/ " to go to the folder where "configure" would be. If you did and the configure file is not there, there should be a file named "INSTALL" or "README" in that folder. Open and read those files, they usually teach you how to install the program.

Quote Originally Posted by bonniehandi
    First, the title of your post really should say something like "Cannot use ./configure" or something to that degree so people know what the post is about.
    Good idea.
    Registered Linux user #270181
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants