Find the answer to your Linux question:
The first command I issued: chown -R root:website /wwwroot The second command I issued: chmod -R 774 /wwwroot To check if the account I'm logged in under is in the ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

chmod issue...

The first command I issued: chown -R root:website /wwwroot

The second command I issued: chmod -R 774 /wwwroot

To check if the account I'm logged in under is in the group website I used: 'id' which outputs: uid=1000(dottedquad) gid=100(users) groups=16(dialout),33(video),100(users),1000(websi te)

The problem I'm running into is, I can get into /wwwroot directory and visualize the other folders but I get Access denied if I try to enter into any of the other folders. Now, If I switch the other number to 7 I have access to everything. I'm not too sure if the user I'm under at the moment which is dottedquad falls under the other account catagory or is actually in the website group?

Thanks for the help

Linux Engineer
    To access the subdirectories, you have to set the directory executable. I've had bad experiences with this before when "chmod -R"'ing my whole homefolder 640 as root (just after I copied over some files from a fat partition as root, I chowned them all to me and used that command)...

So "chmod +x" all directories. If they don't contain spaces or special characters, you can maybe do it with a find/xargs/chmod combination in a script.

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by jaboua
    To access the subdirectories, you have to set the directory executable. I've had bad experiences with this before when "chmod -R"'ing my whole homefolder 640 as root (just after I copied over some files from a fat partition as root, I chowned them all to me and used that command)...

So "chmod +x" all directories. If they don't contain spaces or special characters, you can maybe do it with a find/xargs/chmod combination in a script.
    That "chmod +x" (without the quotes) doesn't work. I was wrong when I stated that I can view the other folders but can't get inside of them. I had to close Konqueror and tried to re-enter the /wwwroot folder and I get access denied. Everything included the /wwwroot folder has these permissions: rwxrwx--- When I did chown -R root:website /wwwroot for some reason I don't think website is not getting added to the file/folder permissions, because Like I stated before if I add 7 to the other attribute I have access to everything. I have no clue on what to do from here.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    scm
    Linux Engineer
    The second command I issued: chmod -R 774 /wwwroot
    If you'd used 775 you'd have access to all directories.