Find the answer to your Linux question:
I would like to add an mpg movie to become my screensaver for a project I'm working on. There seems to be an abundant supply of such apps for windoze... ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Question Playing mpg as screensaver?

I would like to add an mpg movie to become my screensaver for a project I'm working on. There seems to be an abundant supply of such apps for windoze... however I don't see any for Linux, has anyone seen such an app for Linux???

Curt

It probably doesn't matter, but what distro are you on?

Linux Engineer
    If you use KDE and have the media player "Kaffeine" installed, you'll find a screensaver in Kcontrol --> Appearence & Themes --> Screen Saver --> Media Screen Saver. It'll play mpg's, just select it and click "Setup"

Just Joined!

mpg as screensaver

Excited to have found the answer to my problem I tried out the advise above, but just got following choices of screensavers: Blank, Slideshow, Random and KTux. Verified that Kaffiene is actually installed. Running on Mandriva 2007 - and don't really know whats inside the box as I just got it 2nd hand. Any Idea to what I may have forgotten or done wrong?

Well alarms off for now... needed kdeartwork as well. Can now choose media screen saver, but can't play mpeg. That must be Kaffeine issue or ...? - will google on that

Just Joined!
    Sorted too. Now for one I've banged my head on for a while. kpartsaver.kss refuses to play more than a single mpeg, and won't even repeat that one. Wether I change the settings from the setup or directly in the config file (kpartsaverrc) I get same same result. none. Googled it, and consulted manual but haven't found any hint. Can anyone help me on that?