Find the answer to your Linux question:
.....distro than Suse to learn? I don't know if it's just a case of me being not quite prepared for the shock of how different to windows Linux is, but ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Is there an easier....

.....distro than Suse to learn?

I don't know if it's just a case of me being not quite prepared for the shock of how different to windows Linux is, but after nearly a week of toiling with Suse, I'm still no further forward. I have a clean install and all the default desktop programs that come with it, but no video player that will play any of my avis, mpegs or any other video file that I have. Don't get me wrong - Suse is great, but I didn't think I'd have to input lines of code just to make it do anything. God, I'm such a dimwit when it comes to stuff like this.... It all became obvous when I read a tutorial that said I had to log on as the root user or something - heck, I don't even know how to do that...

I bought two Linux magazines, but they may as well be written in Japanese.

Check this. I'm sure it will help you greatly.

For movies, MPlayer is great, and it can play about every type of avi, mpeg, etc.
    "To express yourself in freedom, you must die to everything of yesterday. From the 'old', you derive security; from the 'new', you gain the flow."

-Bruce Lee

mepis linux springs to mind,it comes as a livecd but can also be installed to your hard drive,mandriva is another,i had a brief fling with mandriva but wasn't to my taste.there's also linspire,which is nearly the same as windows. you could have a look at distrowatch.com for more ideas

andy
    SLOMO: acer extensa 5235 2.2ghz,2gb ram 160gb hdd wireless
    SPEEDY: homebrew desktop,Amd x2 dualcore,2gb ram,500gb +1tb( 2x500gb) hdd suse 11.3,32mb fibreline
    registered linux user #401845

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    what part of Linux are you having problems with?

Did you decide to go with the Gnome or the KDE desktop? I think KDE is closer to windows than Gnome, so that may be something you want to have a look at.

As to easier distros. No, Suse is about average as far as that is concerned, maybe Ubantu (Kubantu) may be a little easier.

The thing to come to terms with, is that Linux is different from Windows. So, while you had (probably) a fair bit of windows experience under your belt, you're back at the bottom (almost) with Linux. This can be very painful. But just stick with it and it will come.

If you have any specific questions about problems that you're having with Linux, please ask them here.

Nerderello

Use Suse 10.1 and occasionally play with Kubuntu
    Also have Windows 98SE and BeOS

Hi. First - sorry for my original post, it was written with a mixture of temper and self-pity thrown in.

I think it's post installation shock syndrome or something! (YOU work out the anachronism!) I installed Suse on my second drive and went looking for ways to make it 'see' my AOL 2mb broadband - no joy. Then I had a look at some of the games that came with the package, only to find my Geforce FX5500 card only configured to play 2d images. I posted on here and some kind members pointed me toward links for drivers and config settings (which I was greatful for). I quickly realised that even possessing said drivers and settings, I have absolutely no clue how to implement them Not to worry, I thought, I'll go and see how my home movies look when played in Linux - and I can't play any of them. Not even with three different media players.

That's when I rebooted into XP and came on here again feeling sorry for myself.. Whet I really want to do is get my 'net connection set up so I don't need to boot XP up to go looking for answers. My hobbies, such as gaming and video-editing can come later, once I get online with Suse. Btw, I choose the Gnome desktop. Can I change my mind for KDE without a complete reinstall?

Thanks for your replies, guys

Paul

For installing the nvidia driver, follow this tutorial.

Now for the ADSL internet, how exactly is the modem connected to the computer? Is it via USB, or Ethernet or through a router? More details about your internet setup would help us greatly.

For the home movies are you trying to play back dvd's or avi files? For dvd's you'll need to install libdvdcss and a few other programs, but I'd suggest you put these on hold until you get the internet working under linux as it would be much easier to install these programs using SUSE's YaST or other package manager.

As for changing to KDE without a complete reisntall, do this: Launch YaST (Gnome Menu -> System -> Yast). Then under the "Install and Remove Software" section, there should be a drop down list called "Filter", select "Selections" Now place a tick next to "KDE" and "All of KDE". Insert the SUSE install disk when prompted.

Now for running KDE, when the system boots up and you are sent to the login page, there should be some sort of button on the bottom left of the screen called "Session". Hit that button and select KDE. Then login as normal.
    Life is complex, it has a real part and an imaginary part.

My broadband connection is: ISP - AOL, BT Voyager 105 adsl usb modem.

Tonight I faffed about in Suse for ages and I think I managed to break it somehow... but it doesn't matter now, because I've since formatted my drive and installed Mandriva 2006 and used the KDE 3.4 desktop (which I must say, is very user friendly). I'm playing all my avi, div-x, mpeg and wmv files using the 3 installed viewers ( I forget which ) with no problems at all. If I can get my internet set up and find a video editing program, I'll be seriously looking at forgetting about windows for the time being. Btw, when I looked at configuring my net connection, I was in the setup area where you can choose your ISP and AOL wasn't listed anywhere - no matter what country I said I was in..

oz
    forum.guy
    Quote Originally Posted by rossi46
    but it doesn't matter now, because I've since formatted my drive and installed Mandriva 2006 and used the KDE 3.4 desktop (which I must say, is very user friendly).
    I was just about to recommend Mandriva after reading your first post but I see you are now up and running...

Quote Originally Posted by rossi46
    .... Btw, when I looked at configuring my net connection, I was in the setup area where you can choose your ISP and AOL wasn't listed anywhere - no matter what country I said I was in..
    Don't worry if your ISP is not present in the list, either choose a generic isp or create a new isp entry.
    Life is complex, it has a real part and an imaginary part.