Find the answer to your Linux question:
Ok I have 2.4 but I need 2.6 because of my processors. I have everything I need, including images, but I havent been able to successfully get the new kernel ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux Newbie

upgrade kernel, already have material

Ok I have 2.4 but I need 2.6 because of my processors. I have everything I need, including images, but I havent been able to successfully get the new kernel installed. That is i've sucessfully gotten lilo to only load half way, and many kernel panics. Now, im sick of reinstalling the os and im going to have to ask for help. Even a link with the steps would help greatly. Remember, im not compiling my own kernel, but I have the images. I have never been able to sucessfully compile my own kernel..
    Registered Linux user #390336

Linux Enthusiast
    what distribution are you using, and where did you get the kernel image from?

Also, can you post the messages you get when the kernel panics?

Upgrading your kernel is a pretty complex task first time around, but once you've done it a few times it becomes easier.

Chris...
    To be good, you must first be bad. "Newbie" is a rank, not a slight.

Linux Newbie
    Im using slackware 10.2 and it comes with the 2.6 image that works with my hard drive. It works during the install but I cant leave that as my main image because it says 2.6 kernel but it is trying to use 2.4 files and it leaves me unable to do anything. Thanks for quick reply.

Linux Enthusiast
    I've always compiled from source rather than using the packages supplied with the slackware disks, but I'll try and help anyway.

First of all, some links:

Brief but specifically for slackware.
    http://distrowatch.com/weekly.php?issue=20040628#1

And a more generic version referring to compiling from source, but the post installation config should be similar.
    http://www.digitalhermit.com/linux/K...TO.html#AEN536

Can you post the errors you are getting and we will be able to help you more. Your lilo.conf file would probabaly be handy too.

Chris...

Linux Newbie
    Ok, im going to try to compile from source. This has never worked for me (except on gentoo try but I never finished the install), and I havent done it in a long time, so im hoping that the kernel build howto will give me everything I need.

Linux Enthusiast
    Sounds like a good plan. I will keep an eye on this thread so let us know how you get on and we can try to help if you get in trouble.

Chris...

Linux Newbie
    Im working on it now, I was just wondering if its normal to see tons of errors while doing the ..... crap i dont know if it was the make or the make install, the one with the CC and [M].

Edit:
    Ok I dont think that really matters anymore because I just got an error. I have no idea what it means but I think i've seen it before:

/bin/sh: cmp: command not found
    Inconsistent kallsyms data
    Try setting CONFIG_KALLSYMS_EXTRA_PASS
    make: *** [vmlinux] Error 1

Edit:
    Once again I have gotten by this error on my own but now I have finished compiling the kernel, and I get a kernel panic. Then I boot from gentoo live cd and recompile the kernel to work with the filesystem. When I do make install here I get an error of a sintax error on line 43 of lilo. This is pointing at the mbr of my hard drive. Just now when I booted I got a black screen after lilo. Im now reinstalling. If you have any ideas at all it might help if I decide to give it another shot. Thanks.

Linux Enthusiast
    I would guess that running "make install" from the live CD would be your problem. It may not have copied the kernel image to the correct location or edited the correct lilo.conf file. Lilo then failed to install correctly so when you rebooted you got a black screen.

That is however, just a guess.

I'd suggest trying it again. You've gained extra experience, so you can compile kernels correctly, you just need to watch your config options (remember to compile root filesystem type support into the kernel rather than as a module).

I'll keep an eye on this thread so if you try again and have problems, we can help you out.

Let us know how it goes either way,

Chris...