Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hey, I am currently using Fedora 4 and i get no audio. I have an NF7-S with built in Soundstorm and i am trying to get sound from the optical ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Soundstorm audio problem

Hey,

I am currently using Fedora 4 and i get no audio. I have an NF7-S with built in Soundstorm and i am trying to get sound from the optical out, to a receiver. I can hear sound if i hook headphones up to my comp but nothing from optical. Does anyone know what i am doing wrong or does linux not support the optical out? Please help and TIA.

Just Joined!
    Well i think i am a little closer to solving the probelm but not quite there yet i am very new to linux and not used to all of its config settings so i have been messing with the audio settings and i found the IEC958 output aka S/PDIF and i now have that enabled but still no sound i also found an option for an external receiver and enabled that and still nothing. is there something i need to disable to make the sound go to the optical out?

Just Joined!
    Does anyone have any suggestions????

Well anyway, the optical out seems to be working kinda. The only time i get anything out of it is when i am looking at a flash based web site i only discovered this when visiting quake4game.com and whoa! suddenly i had sound but still no sound for music movies or anything else.

Linux User
    you could try the offical nforce drivers on the nvidia site, I would of thought it would be a matter of enebling spdif or optical in any alsa control program
    All i want for christmas is a new liver....a second chance to get afflicted with Cirrhosis

Just Joined!
    Thanks, but i already have the official drivers installed and have the optical out enabled in the ALSA control panel.

Anyone else?

Linux User
    You might want to play around with Alsa a little, it can sometimes be a little temperamental.
    If your sound troubles are connected to cd's and dvd's you should check that you have an audio cable connected between your soundcard and the cd/dvd device.
    registered linux user: 387197