Find the answer to your Linux question:
I basically want to get rid of XP on my pc and use linux permanatly the only thing stopping me is my winmodem i found drivers for it awhile ago, ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

56k modem that runs in linux - where to buy in australia

I basically want to get rid of XP on my pc and use linux permanatly the only thing stopping me is my winmodem

i found drivers for it awhile ago, but unfortunatly they were for a earlier version of the linux kernal and i dont think the sites up anymore

anyways i was wandering if there are any australian 56k users here that would be able to tell me wat modem they are using, so i can go buy it

im hoping for something cheap, like dirt cheap as i cant really afford anything expensive, otherwise id be on adsl :P

but all in all as long as i can find a name of a modem to buy rather than work on guessing id be happy

thanks

ciao

Linux Enthusiast
    I'm not australian but I can offer some advice: Winmodems are difficult under Linux because the drivers perform some of the signal processing on your processor. This means fewer actual chips are required on the modem which pushes costs down, the tradeoff being they use up processor time. I did have one that was so poor it crippled my PC when I went online. The functions of these drivers are usually a secret so kernel developers can't produce replacements for them.

External modems that connect to a com port tend to be the easiest to use. Plug them in and they just work because they have the extra signal processing chips windmodems lack. Of course this makes them slightly more expensive. You can get internal full hardware modems too, but I've never bought one because the shop assistant I talked to couldn't answer my question and wouldn't say that they'd take it back if it didn't work.

There is a company called Linuxant (http://www.linuxant.com/company/) that has signed the relevant NDAs and produces closed source drivers for a range of winmodems. They also provide a demo version of the driver to let you see if it works before you buy it, but these are limited to 14.4K. I use these drivers for the modem in my laptop and they work very well. Easy to install and they haven't let me down in all the time I've used them.

Can you tell us what kind of modem you have? Maybe we can offer help in making it work anyway.

More information can be found here http://www.tldp.org/HOWTO/Modem-HOWTO-2.html

Let us know how you get on,
    Chris...
    To be good, you must first be bad. "Newbie" is a rank, not a slight.

you should get an external serial modem, they usually work out of the box, however they are not as cheap as winmodems. I can recommend the Trendnet TFM-560x

Hi, thanks, the modem i have is a ESS ES56-PI

ive googled a bit looking for external modems and have found a few choices, but if i can just use this modem than ill be happy

thanks for the help guys

ciao

Hi,
    When I used to be on dialup, I got a Netcomm Internal modem working under SUSE 9.2 and Xandros. That modem worked with the Lucent winmodem driver and I had no hassles with it. I picked mine up for around $40 at my local computer market a few years ago. (yes, I am also based in Australia now).

BTW, if you can't get ADSL or cable, why not go for Unwired? Also check out www.linmodems.org to see if your modem is supported, the main thing is to find which chipset it uses and then find the driver for it.
    Life is complex, it has a real part and an imaginary part.

i can get cable and adsl, i just cant afford it, i use to have cable but my downloading habits started costing me :'(

linmodems has my driver but only for the 2.2 kernal

ciao

Well I doubt the 2.2 driver would work with most present distros, so that is ruled out. Your best bet would be to spend $50 to get either a Lucent based Internal modem or more for an external modem.

Otherwise, ISP's like TPG have IMHO cheap ADSL fees e.g. $50/month for 512K and speed gets throttled back to 64K once you download more than 20GB, and no extra charges for downloading more than 20GB.

I know that ISP's like telstra and optus just rip off people as they don;t read the fine print. I once spent an hour explaining to a family friend that the $30 Telstra adsl was a rip off as they would have to pay more like $130/month due to the fact that they download 1GB/month. It pays to shop around.
    Life is complex, it has a real part and an imaginary part.

yea well i had cable before it was *unlimited* and only had a 1 gig cap, i ended up download a few gigs over, at 25 cents a meg, u can see how screwed over i got

thanks for the help, ill probably go for one of em lucent modems to save money then i guess

ciao

Linux Enthusiast
    I would also doubt that driver would work correctly, espcially since it is binary only.

It appears your only option is to get a new device, unless anyone has written something like ndisWrapper for modems.

Chris...
    To be good, you must first be bad. "Newbie" is a rank, not a slight.