Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
So noodle is 0.7.1- I looked at distrowatch just then....
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

So noodle is 0.7.1- I looked at distrowatch just then.

Linux Newbie
    I'm installing 0.7.1 tomorrow, will keep it on a spare partition

Linux Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by bryansmith
    Yay for Noodle! Wait...I have been using it for quite some time now .

As josolanes, just a friendly point...KDE 3.5 packages were in the repos the day it was released so us Archers had it too. Underground intrigues me though. I will have to look into it.

Bryan
    oh, ok sorry about that . i don't remember using kde before (though i might have). i was just really worried about getting it working next boot up. is it safe to assume that this issue has been resolved in the new release? if so, than i'll more than likely reinstall my OS and use arch (i like underground, but something about actually using arch itself intrigues me).

Noodle?? Heh, I'd better not hear anyone whine about "Warty" anymore.

Woman: "Have you lost your noodle?"
    Man: "No, I saved it to disk."
    It may be that your sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

Thanks for all your replies guys . Yeah, why would you call a distro 'noodle' ?? Oh well, it is better than 'warty' as St. Joe mentioned above.

Quote Originally Posted by josolanes
    oh, ok sorry about that . i don't remember using kde before (though i might have). i was just really worried about getting it working next boot up. is it safe to assume that this issue has been resolved in the new release? if so, than i'll more than likely reinstall my OS and use arch (i like underground, but something about actually using arch itself intrigues me).
    Yeah, Noodle has some major changes to it that should help resolve some of your problems hopefully. I believe Noodle is a full transistion to udev. Check out here: http://www.archlinux.org/news.php

I somehow think that Noodle will be a fix for those who had problems with Wombat (0.7). My question is why is Noodle only 0.7.1 when it was a year in devleopment and it appears to have some really major changes?

Bryan
    Looking for a distro? Look here.
    "There can be no doubt that all our knowledge begins with experience." - Immanuel Kant (Critique of Pure Reason)
    Queen's University - Arts and Science 2008 (Sociology)
    Registered Linux User #386147.

Linux Engineer
    Quote Originally Posted by bryansmith
    Yeah, Noodle has some major changes to it that should help resolve some of your problems hopefully. I believe Noodle is a full transistion to udev. Check out here: http://www.archlinux.org/news.php

I somehow think that Noodle will be a fix for those who had problems with Wombat (0.7). My question is why is Noodle only 0.7.1 when it was a year in devleopment and it appears to have some really major changes?

Bryan
    It was supposed to be 0.8, but Judd and the devs wanted to do some more changes before they released 0.8 (iirc some changes to the installer and something) and after some comments on arch development going slow while switching to gcc4 and a new libtool iirc, they decided to make Noodle 0.7.1 while taking the final steps to 0.8. That way the problem josolanes mentioned with a major upgrade after install for example will be decreased, more packages up to date and such (Netinstall goes around this anyway).

EDIT: Here's an explaination from Judd Vinet himself, the founder of Arch Linux:
    http://www.archlinux.org/pipermail/a...er/006444.html

Quote Originally Posted by jaboua
    It was supposed to be 0.8, but Judd and the devs wanted to do some more changes before they released 0.8 (iirc some changes to the installer and something) and after some comments on arch development going slow while switching to gcc4 and a new libtool iirc, they decided to make Noodle 0.7.1 while taking the final steps to 0.8. That way the problem josolanes mentioned with a major upgrade after install for example will be decreased, more packages up to date and such (Netinstall goes around this anyway).

EDIT: Here's an explaination from Judd Vinet himself, the founder of Arch Linux:
    http://www.archlinux.org/pipermail/a...er/006444.html
    The version numbering makes a bit more sense now but honestly, version numbers are irrelevant as long as one is distinguished as being higher than another. Plus, for me, I just do a quick 'pacman -Syu' and all is good .

Bryan
    "There can be no doubt that all our knowledge begins with experience." - Immanuel Kant (Critique of Pure Reason)

Linux Enthusiast
    i just installed arch and replaced my underground install. it seems a bit quicker than underground (still using kde within arch)....not too sure why though

the install went flawlessly and i had no problems at all updating.

i also learned a little trick later on. i have my harddrive booting from a harddrive controller, and the arch installer won't let you use any drive other than hda (apparently) to install a bootloader on without errors. i found this very annoying, so i removed /dev/hda and symlinked my harddrive to /dev/hda:
    Code:
    rm /dev/hda
    ln -s /dev/hdg /dev/hda
    ...and i now have lilo running from this drive
    i use an Ultra133TX2 harddrive controller as it runs at a max speed of ATA133 and my mobo only supports ATA100. not a huge difference but every bit counts

i also know this isn't the reason why arch is running this much quicker (though it may help). underground ran the harddrive really hard doing simple tasks within kde (such as, occassionally, opening the KDE menu), arch doesn't do this at all

Welcome to Arch Linux. It will be hard to change distros now .

Don't worry, I use KDE too .

Bryan

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast