Find the answer to your Linux question:
I'm forced to change over and need some help. I've got a server running Linux and need to create the shared folder so that the windows based machines on the ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Share Folder

I'm forced to change over and need some help.

I've got a server running Linux and need to create the shared folder so that the windows based machines on the network can use it.

I've read the documentation about Samba and came across something called SWAT. Since I am so early into using Linux (like four hours) I'm going to need some help getting an understanding of where to go.

I've got SUSE Linux 10 loaded and running fine. The network is up and good.

Where in the menus is SWAT? Is this a standard feature or something I have to install?

I do miss my 'right click' | 'sharing and security' option. But I'm willing to bet that learning more than one operating system will be worth the effort.

jacob@roeckerfam.com

zyd
    Just Joined!
    SWAT is just a front-end used to edit the smb.conf file.

http://www.linuxsoft.cz/en/sw_detail.php?id_item=3831

"SWAT allows a Samba administrator to configure the complex smb.conf(5) file via a Web browser. In addition, a swat configuration page has help links to all the configurable options in the smb.conf file allowing an administrator to easily look up the effects of any change."

You may need to install SAMBA if you want to transfer files. If you already choose to install it when you installed the OS, then their is no need to install it again. If you want to get Samba, then you can either go to www.samba.org/ or you can use some program in you distro to automatically get it (I am not familiar with SUSE so i can't help you here)

Just Joined!
    SUSE already has the Samba file in there.

I was able to find that out using www.samba.org (thank you!!!)

Now I need an easy way to configure it and this is where I'm stuck.

I'm unfamiliar with the command lines needed. (having it say it's similar to windows .ini files still means it's greek to me at the memoment) When I get stuck with Macros or HTML sometimes I just copy other people's code. Is there a site where someone has posted the code to share a folder in my similar circumstances?

It looks like swat is launched through the browser (in my case Mozilla) but I don't know where the SUSE install put it, and the help files aren't much help on this case. They get me in the right direction and then I'm left to figure it out.

I like the 'figure it out' additude of Linux. It means that there's a great deal of freedom inherent in the OS. My problem is I can't figure it out on my own just yet.

UGH... I know this is going to get easier. But it's not going to happen just yet is it?

Please walk me through with baby steps. I have learned how to look at the smb.conf file but I'm new to programming altogether and will need to have some help on this.

Just Joined!
    hi,
    go to the services, there u will fine the SWAT service now check the service and save the configuration.... the demon runs on the port 901. now goto a browser and type http://localhost:901/ then the SWAT will be launched.... and u can carry out with ur work.

Regards
    Chandu

Quote Originally Posted by Jacob.Roecker
    SUSE already has the Samba file in there.

I was able to find that out using www.samba.org (thank you!!!)

Now I need an easy way to configure it and this is where I'm stuck.

I'm unfamiliar with the command lines needed. (having it say it's similar to windows .ini files still means it's greek to me at the memoment) When I get stuck with Macros or HTML sometimes I just copy other people's code. Is there a site where someone has posted the code to share a folder in my similar circumstances?

It looks like swat is launched through the browser (in my case Mozilla) but I don't know where the SUSE install put it, and the help files aren't much help on this case. They get me in the right direction and then I'm left to figure it out.

I like the 'figure it out' additude of Linux. It means that there's a great deal of freedom inherent in the OS. My problem is I can't figure it out on my own just yet.

UGH... I know this is going to get easier. But it's not going to happen just yet is it?

Please walk me through with baby steps. I have learned how to look at the smb.conf file but I'm new to programming altogether and will need to have some help on this.