Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hello Guys, I don't know if someone have asked this question before or not. I have recently started reading about Linux, so i do not know a whole lot of ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Linux Distributions

Hello Guys, I don't know if someone have asked this question before or not. I have recently started reading about Linux, so i do not know a whole lot of Linux. And i have been reading lot online about Different Linux distributions available. But my question is what is the best linux distribution for server. Which is easy to configure and free.

Thanks

oz
    forum.guy
    Welcome to the forums!

There really isn't a "best" that everyone would agree is the best, so you should probably go to http://www.distrowatch.com and study up on some of the many options there.

I can say that Debian, Red Hat, and Slackware have been very popular for server usuage for years, but I wouldn't say that one is better than the other, as they all have their good and bad points. Debian and Slackware are free for downloading, and I'm assuming Red Hat is still free, but I'm not sure.

As ozar said, do lots and lots of research on the net, and in particular take a look at the top 100 distributions on distrowatch. And also take a look at my sig. Just google googlegoogle.

Good luck and welcome to the forum!

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    debian and fedora would be good to take a look at
    since you said you want easy to configure, i wouldnt suggest slackware, but you might want to look at a slackware derivative

Slackware.
    Linux Mint + IceWM Registered: #371367 New Members: click here

Smile Thank You

Thanks Guys, really appreciated you taking the time and answering the question.

Linux User
    For ease of use id recomend ununtu(its debian based), mepis(another debian based one) or suse
    All i want for christmas is a new liver....a second chance to get afflicted with Cirrhosis