Find the answer to your Linux question:
I've just installed Ubuntu on my other computer and I can't get the mouse to work. And I have another stupid problem: during the instalation I wasn't asked to set ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Mouse problems

I've just installed Ubuntu on my other computer and I can't get the mouse to work. And I have another stupid problem: during the instalation I wasn't asked to set a passoword for the root, and now I can't login as root.

Can anyone help me?

Thanks,
    Komyg

PS: What was that keyboard command that shutsdown the computer from the tty?

can't help you with mouse as i haven't used ubuntu for ages, but to shut down from console type shutdown -h now & press enter

andy
    SLOMO: acer extensa 5235 2.2ghz,2gb ram 160gb hdd wireless
    SPEEDY: homebrew desktop,Amd x2 dualcore,2gb ram,500gb +1tb( 2x500gb) hdd suse 11.3,32mb fibreline
    registered linux user #401845

Quote Originally Posted by komyg
    I've just installed Ubuntu on my other computer and I can't get the mouse to work. And I have another stupid problem: during the instalation I wasn't asked to set a passoword for the root, and now I can't login as root.

Can anyone help me?

Thanks,
    Komyg

PS: What was that keyboard command that shutsdown the computer from the tty?
    You CANNOT login as root. However, you can run commands with root access by preceeding a command with 'sudo'.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Just Joined!
    As ~tux~ said, you cannot login as root by default, it is disabled. You can re-enable it if you wish. At the bottom of this page is a howto: https://wiki.ubuntu.com/RootSudo

You can switch to root by doing sudo -s -H

For the mouse issue:

What type of mouse is it? usb, ps/2, or the dreaded serial
    What does not work about it?
    Post the contents of your /etc/X11/xorg (or /etc/X11/XF86Config) file.

Might be of some interest:
    http://ubuntuguide.org/

Just Joined!
    Ok, the mouse is a serial mouse and it doesn't work at all, meaning I move the mouse and press it's buttons and nothing happens.
    As for the xorg, I'm working on that, but my network connection is not doing very well at the moment.
    Is there any command in linux similar to the "ipconfig" on windows?

Thanks,
    komyg

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by komyg
    Ok, the mouse is a serial mouse and it doesn't work at all, meaning I move the mouse and press it's buttons and nothing happens.
    As for the xorg, I'm working on that, but my network connection is not doing very well at the moment.
    Is there any command in linux similar to the "ipconfig" on windows?

Thanks,
    komyg
    Ya, ifconfig.

ifconfig eth0 up Will bring up the eth0 interface assuming linux sees the card and has drivers for it, running dhclient eth0 or dhcpcd eth0 or any other dhcp client will get your IP address from you dhcp server and setup /etc/resolv.conf with the correct nameservers. If you dont have a dhcp server on your network you can input a static IP like:
    ifconfig eth0 192.168.1.1 up
    Use ifconfig --help for more options.

Why not save yourself alot of trouble and use a ps/2 or usb mouse. Is this computer that old that it dont have ps/2 slots?