Find the answer to your Linux question:
I have windows xp laptop and fedora core installed on a desktop. I am trying to view the linux destop on my laptop, so I went ahead and installed vnc ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

how to setup remote desktop

I have windows xp laptop and fedora core installed on a desktop. I am trying to view the linux destop on my laptop, so I went ahead and installed vnc server and viewer on desktop and laptop started the vnc server both on the desktop and laptop, started the viewer on the laptop, keyed in the hostname no luck , i tried specifying the hostname and the ip address but no luck so far, I get a connection timed out error, by the way both my laptop and my desktop are hardwired to my router. Also I changed the network config on my linux to change the hostname but it still shows up as localhost.localdomain, no idea what I am doing wrong, any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks

GV

I usually always use ip address when using vnc so I might not be able to help with DNS. When contacting the Linux computer by ip show me what address you are using. Is your firewall set so that port 5900 is open on the Linux machine?
    Linux Mint + IceWM Registered: #371367 New Members: click here

Linux Newbie
    Quote Originally Posted by Dapper Dan
    I usually always use ip address when using vnc so I might not be able to help with DNS. When contacting the Linux computer by ip show me what address you are using. Is your firewall set so that port 5900 is open on the Linux machine?
    set to port 5800 also can !
    Proper Planing is a way of success