Find the answer to your Linux question:
I'm not exactly new to Linux, but my experience with it is limited to Mandriva 2006. My problem is that this works great on my computer I use at college, ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Any recommendations?

I'm not exactly new to Linux, but my experience with it is limited to Mandriva 2006. My problem is that this works great on my computer I use at college, but it has proven to be too much operating system for my parents' home computer to handle. Basically, I need a "newbie"-friendly version (i.e, graphically based) of Linux that has these basic things: internet, office suite, and basic multimedia (sound, video, CD burning, etc.). The catch is that it is going to be put on a dinosaur with these hardware specs:

HP 8275:
    7.4 GB hard-drive
    Intel Pentium II processor (300 MHz)
    ?? MB RAM (whatever it has from the factory x2)
    24X DVD/CD ROM
    4x8x32 CD-R (I think...)

Basically, this thing came stock with Windows 95. I need a version of Linux for this thing that would slow it down like Mandriva 2006, but is really easy to use and has all the basic work and entertainment stuff... like Mandriva 2006... because WIndows sucks.

Linux Enthusiast
    Damn Small Linux would work, and I've heard that Vector Linux is lightweight and decent for old hardware (no experience with Vector though, but I know DSL works)

You can also look at http://www.distrowatch.com for a list of distros and search through to find what you think might fit your needs

Just Joined!
    Thanks, dude.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Registered Linux user #270181
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants