Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hello all, I have just picked up a computer science course. This would be my second university level C++ course. They want us to use Unix to do everything. I ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Unix and Linux for C++

Hello all,
    I have just picked up a computer science course. This would be my second university level C++ course. They want us to use Unix to do everything. I already have FC4. I am wondering if the complier (the g++) thing would be the same for both Unix and my FC4.

Also, my professor is HORRIBLE and there is no text book. I am just wondering if any of you have a suggestion for a C++ book.

Depending on the UNIX variant, it should be mostly the same. (Primary difference will be between different versions of your toolkit)
    Avoid the Gates of Hell. Use Linux
    A Penny for your Thoughts

Formerly Known as qub333

Yeah, as said, g++ should compile the same for both. As a precaution, you might take your code written on Linux and use a university computer (running UNIX) to do the final compile, just to double-check.

As far as a book, I have been finding great success with "C++: How to Program" from Deitel and Deitel. I'm only on Chapter 5 (page 355), but it seems extremely thorough, and I am going through it quite easily.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Thank you.
    If I remember right, I believe I can complie on the university computer using remote access by ssh at home. I only know how to transfer my files in ssh, but how do I run things in bash?
    Is there anything in FC4 that is like the windows SSH secure client?

Linux User
    ssh is included in FC4. Just type
    Code:
    ssh name.of.server.here
    If you prefer to work with a graphical interface you can use gFTP. If you haven't gotten gFTP installed you can just yum install it. This application gives you the option of using ftp, ssh, and some other tranfer methods.
    If you decide to run from the CLI and get stuck on anything don't forget about
    Code:
    man ssh
    registered linux user: 387197