Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Hi everyone, I am a long time windows user, and I find working in Linux very challenging for doing some things, but would very much like to one day get ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Talking trouble installing/running firefox 1.5

Hi everyone,
    I am a long time windows user, and I find working in Linux very challenging for doing some things, but would very much like to one day get as proficient in Linux as I am in Windows. I have been trying to convert over to Linux for sometime but in the past have gotten discouraged because I just haven't been able to find a solution to my problem, and sort of got tired of spending so much time trying to find the answer. I would very much like to stick with it this time, but I am having trouble installing my favorite browser firefox. Before I begin I'd like to apologize for my ignorance and the wordiness of this post. I have installed Redhat Linux 7.2 on a virtual pc v5.2. Really my computer runs Windows XP. Redhat appears to be running fine. I chose to use the KDE GUI. I downloaded and believe successfully installed firefox v1.5. The folder I installed it in is /home/Andy/firefox/ when I attempt to run fire fox with the following command ./firefox I got the message ./firefox-bin: error while loading shared libraries: libgtk-x11-2.0.so.0: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory. What am I doing wrong? Did I not install the software? What do I need to do to get firefox correctly installed and working in Redhat? Your help is very much appreciated. I apologize in advanced if I left any information out and for the wordy post.

oz
    forum.guy
    Not sure it would help, but have you considered running a newer version of Red Hat, or perhaps even running Fedora Core? I ask that because Red Hat 7.2 is really getting a bit long in the tooth and newer application usually install easier and run better on newer distributions.

Just something for you to consider... oh, and welcome to the forums!

Where did you find the rpm for firefox 1.5? I've been looking for it.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Just Joined!
    Unfortunately I can't get the gui in redhat 9 to run correctly in the virtual pc environment for some reason. I'm due to get another computer that I was planning on installing redhat 9 on but I don't have it yet. Something to consider though I will definitely be trying to install it on redhat 9 when I get my other pc. Thanks for the reply and the warm welcom.

Just Joined!
    http://www.mozilla.org/download.html here's the link to download 1.5 for linux just click on the linux link.

Just Joined!
    I have Red Hat 9 2.4.20-6

I downloaded the rpm from Firefox website. As soon as you go to the downloads section it should detect your OS platform and redirect you to the download for your OS. Once downloaded I just untar the file

tar -xvzf <filename>

It created a firefox directory, and I did as you did, I typed ./firefox and it launched with no problem.

Ok, so I have a question:

I downloaded firefox, did the command to unzip it or untar it (not sure what its called with tar.gz), and then the folder's on my desktop. Do I now have to move it to my usr/lib to overwrite the other firefox? I don't get how I can make it go to that, or make all the shortcuts go to this folder.

Just Joined!
    I did as you did except that I am running redhat 7.2. It sounds like then the file it needs to run is missing or there possibley is a symbolic link problem?

you're right that the libGTK files are missing for some reason. the installer is pretty much the same as the windows one, so you should know if it installed (no error messages). i'd recommend you find libGTK and install that, via RPM. try searching www.sourceforge.net or www.google.com/linux for them. hope that helps. oh, and if you are intent on redhat, try fedora core 4 when you get your new computer. more up-to-date
    Here's why Linux is easier than Windows:
    Package Managers! Apt-Get and Portage (among others) allow users to install programs MUCH easier than Windows can.
    Hardware Drivers. In SuSE, ALL the hardware is detected and installed automatically! How is this harder than Windows' constant disc changing and rebooting?

Quote Originally Posted by oosterhouse
    Where did you find the rpm for firefox 1.5? I've been looking for it.
    Here is the link for firefox rpms

http://rpmfind.net/linux/rpm2html/se...submit=Search+...
    <advertising NOT allowed in signatures>

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast