Find the answer to your Linux question:
I have had Linux running over the years on desktop computers. My laptop, I have had for over a year now, has never had linux on it. My laptop has ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Smile Want to install Linux. But fear it due to laptops fingerprint scanner

I have had Linux running over the years on desktop computers.

My laptop, I have had for over a year now, has never had linux on it.

My laptop has a fingerprint scanner that is setup in XP. It asks for a fingerprint just after the BIOS splash screen.

I notice a very small partition at the start of the drive, 24mb and listed in windows as (EISA Configuration) with 100% freespace. Which I guess is for the fingerprint scanner.

If I was to install Linux at the end of the drive after 24mb partition and XP partition and use the Lilo/default bootloader that comes with the linux distribution. Do you think it will be ok?

1.Fingerprint
    2.Lilo "Choose XP or linux"
    3.Boot

I am scared of messing up my fingerprint partition, if it is one!

And one last question. If I happen to want to remove linux or change distro. Can I simply use the fixboot command at the XP recovery CLI to restore XP boot config without any further modifications in linux or XP?

Thanks for any help or suggestions.

Here is an excerpt from a page on the toshiba website:
    http://www.csd.toshiba.com/cgi-bin/t...p?soid=1212692

A 25MB partition is created on the hard disk drive to store the configuration information for Fingerprint System Boot Authentication. Do not delete this partition. If it is deleted, Fingerprint System Boot Authentications will no longer function. If this hard disk partition has been deleted, create a new partition, by using the Recovery CD or DVD to restore the hard disk image. CAUTION: This will delete all the data on the hard disk drive. It's also possible to use a third party application (Partition Magic, for example) to create the partition
    This probably means, that if you are careful not to delete this partition, you should be OK. If you delete the partition on accident you could use fdisk in linux to recreate the special partition, and it should work. At least, so i am guessing. You will probably want to wait for someone more knoledgable to reply, as i have never tried this before.

Just Joined!
    Tommaso, thank you very much for confirming that it is a fingerprint partition and for providing the quote from the toshiba website.

I think I will do as you suggested and wait to see if anyone else has any comments before I go ahead.

Thanks

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    dont worry! all you have to do is not delete or modify the partition hda1.

i am guessing that the hard drive has the 25mb partition and then the rest is dedicated to windows.

for editing the partitions, i recommend using qtparted off the systemrescuecd which is available as a 100 or so mb download. That cd does come in handy and its linux (gentoo) based.

just dont select the hda1 partition.
    "Time has more than one meaning, and is more than one dimension" - /.unknown
    --Registered Linux user #396583--

Just Joined!

Thank you for your reply. qtparted problem

I have just reinstall XP.

I have booted up mepis to the demo environment and clicked install me(Really nice idea seeing the functionality before installing).

I selected custom partition and started qtparted. When I select the drive I want, I get "Critical error during ped_disk_new!" and shows no drive information.

I had a similar problem in windows with partition magic but different error. The drive is error free and has no bad sectors?

Can anyone suggest what I should do?

first, check that partitions on the drive (if there are any) are unmounted by using the mount command from the command line.

if thats not it, try using cfdisk instead.

if neither qtparted, cfdisk or partition magic work, thenm i would say that you are in real trouble. something with your hdd is not right.

Just Joined!
    All partition utilities instantly errors when trying to read that first drive. I think it is down to that first security partition.

I have a second HD in the laptop, so I tried repartitioning that drive to no success with qparted and partition magic. qparted gives me an error box with no information about the error and partition magic got 94% completed before freezing. Possibly down to the tables in the first drive confusing the second?

S.M.A.R.T. status on each drive is 100% health. Error free.

I might use a Live CD instead. Thanks for your replys.

Quote Originally Posted by Newman_SCO
    All partition utilities instantly errors when trying to read that first drive. I think it is down to that first security partition.

I have a second HD in the laptop, so I tried repartitioning that drive to no success with qparted and partition magic. qparted gives me an error box with no information about the error and partition magic got 94% completed before freezing. Possibly down to the tables in the first drive confusing the second?

S.M.A.R.T. status on each drive is 100% health. Error free.

I might use a Live CD instead. Thanks for your replys.
    i thought you were using a livecd. more than likely you will have no problems using a partitioning program off a livecd.

using partitionmagic inside windows probably wouldnt work because the partitions on it are mounted.

/weed