Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
What's a good partitioner for linux besides the qtparted thats on knoppix live cd. (It freezes everytime I try to start qtparted) Thanks....
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Question Good partitioner for linux?

What's a good partitioner for linux besides the qtparted thats on knoppix live cd. (It freezes everytime I try to start qtparted) Thanks.

cfdisk rules!

That's on the Slackware 10.2 installer right? Is it easy to use? Because I was thinking about installing that.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    oz
    forum.guy
    Quote Originally Posted by oosterhouse
    That's on the Slackware 10.2 installer right? Is it easy to use? Because I was thinking about installing that.
    Yeah, it's easy once you are familiar with it, but it might scare a new user a bit until they play with it some. I think it's available with most distros.

the best ive used is qtparted, but not on the knoppix cd.
    if you wanna give qtparted another go, try and get your hands on the system rescue cd.

if you dont wanna do that, i suggest trying cfdisk. it is almost as easy to follow, but it sometimes requires you to do a mke*fs on the partition b4 it is recognised.
    "Time has more than one meaning, and is more than one dimension" - /.unknown
    --Registered Linux user #396583--

oz
    forum.guy
    Quote Originally Posted by Weedman
    the best ive used is qtparted, but not on the knoppix cd.
    if you wanna give qtparted another go, try and get your hands on the system rescue cd.
    Yeah, SystemRescueCD is great. I'm afraid it might be a dying project, though, as it hasn't been updated in ages. You can read comments about the lack of updates on their forums at the SR-CD website. Either way, it's still a good CD to keep on hand.

Note that you'll usually have better results with qtparted, or parted (commandline version) if it's installed locally rather than on a utility CD, but of course the CD version is sometimes your only option.

So what do you recommend to an amateur (at best) with linux? I can partition and I understand it, but I don't want to accidently erase PCLinuxOS and Windows XP by installing Slackware 10.2 and partitioning with cfdisk. Thank you for your help.

Quote Originally Posted by ozar
    Yeah, SystemRescueCD is great. I'm afraid it might be a dying project, though, as it hasn't been updated in ages. You can read comments about the lack of updates on their forums at the SR-CD website. Either way, it's still a good CD to keep on hand.

Note that you'll usually have better results with qtparted, or parted (commandline version) if it's installed locally rather than on a utility CD, but of course the CD version is sometimes your only option.
    youve got to be kidding! that cd is the most useful thing i have ever downloaded/owned in my software collection.
    "Time has more than one meaning, and is more than one dimension" - /.unknown
    --Registered Linux user #396583--

I recommend cfdisk.

fdisk is the canonical partitioner. cfdisk is a significantly more user-friendly version, that I find fairly simple to use.

To avoid wiping out anything, you simply need to know your own partitions already. If hda1 is Windows, and you want to keep Windows, do NOTHING to hda1.

I have modified, created, and deleted partitions extensively around existing partitions, and I have never harmed the existing ones.

cfdisk is available on Knoppix.

oz
    forum.guy
    Quote Originally Posted by oosterhouse
    So what do you recommend to an amateur (at best) with linux? I can partition and I understand it, but I don't want to accidently erase PCLinuxOS and Windows XP by installing Slackware 10.2 and partitioning with cfdisk. Thank you for your help.
    Okay, oosterhouse, I'm going to give you a GREAT tip, but it's not about which partitioning tool to use. It's about the cloning of your partitions. Too bad more users don't do this, as they'd save themselves hours and hours of time, and they could play around with both, Linux and Windows all they wanted without having to worry so much about making errors while doing it.

Get either Acronis TrueImage, or Norton Ghost and after you've successfully installed any OS, immediately make backup images of your partitions. You can store them on a spare partition on your hard drive, or on a CD/DVD. It takes about 8 to 10 minutes for me to image my Linux parititions and only about 4 to 5 minutes to restore them if I should need to do so. Doing this has allowed me to play around with many different versions of about 50+ distros over the last seven years, and then quickly get back to whatever my default distro is at the time. My own copy of TrueImage was about $40 several years ago, and it's the best money I've ever spent toward computers.

Now, all that said it's probably easiest for new users to use and understand qtparted as a partitioning tool, but I personally use whatever is handy and whatever my mood is calling for on that day.

Hope this helps...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast