Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
I am now using Kubuntu Linux and I am having trouble with permissions. I am not allowed to create folders in my root directory and when I access my system ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Permissions problems?

I am now using Kubuntu Linux and I am having trouble with permissions. I am not allowed to create folders in my root directory and when I access my system settings, it always asks for a root password. Now I know the root password so I can type it in, however it seems that despite the fact that I am the only user on the system, I still lack certain permissions. How do I make my user account the root account or how can I make it so that I have universal permissions just as the root account would have?

Linux is deliberately designed this way. If you were root (or had root's permissions) all the time, you could really make a mess of your system.

So, keep doing what you've been doing (stepping into root's boots) only when you need to.

This deliberate parceling up also helps with security on your system. If a virus were to get in and have your normal user's permissions, then it could only do limited dameg, but if it gets root's permissions, the n it can trash your system.

Nerderello

Use Suse 10.1 and occasionally play with Kubuntu
    Also have Windows 98SE and BeOS

Just Joined!
    So where should install regular software such as Firefox? I am not allowed to create a folder in the root directory. Should I install these under my user home directory?

Also, speaking of what you mentioned, there is a problem with my packet manager that was created by trying to add a new source to it. If this problem occured under just one user, does that mean that if I can get into the root account, I won't have the same problem?

Just Joined!
    if you just use your KUbubtu package manager to install firefox you wont have to worry about where it gets installed. also, if the problem you talked about with your package manager came about whilst you were logged in as root then it may very well affect all your user accounts, but if you were just a regular user then no, the damage should be limited. hence we only log in as root when we have to, as mentioned in the previous posting .

Just Joined!
    Well the problem is, I am not allowed to login as root. It tells me it is not allowed. I can only login with the username I created at install. The problem is, I need to fix the package manager, but I do not have the permissions, which I think is strange because I should have permissions for everything. I cannot load the package manager because it says there is a problem. I might know how to change the file and fix the error, but the problem is, I don't have permission to save the file. I need universal permissions and I can't have it. Without a working packet manager, I am in trouble.

Since you're using Ubuntu, root is somewhat crippled.

To access something as root, do this:
    Code:
    sudo <command>
    This will run the command as though you were root. You may need to enter the root password, by the way.

Just Joined!
    Well I managed to fix the packet manager, but now I have run into the biggest problem of all:

Permissions. Pure permissions,

I am running Kubuntu.

EVERY file on my system, except those in the /home/user folder deny to my write access because I am not the root user. Unfortunately, I AM the root user, Kubuntu just does not allow a user called root to log in. So the problem is basically: I am the only user. I am the administrator of my computer. Yet, because I have to log in with a user name and not one called root, I am denied modification and write access to everything. How can I override this? I can't possibly run a system that requires me to login to something that is impossible to login to?

Quote Originally Posted by noescasa
    Well I managed to fix the packet manager, but now I have run into the biggest problem of all:

Permissions. Pure permissions,

I am running Kubuntu.

EVERY file on my system, except those in the /home/user folder deny to my write access because I am not the root user. Unfortunately, I AM the root user, Kubuntu just does not allow a user called root to log in. So the problem is basically: I am the only user. I am the administrator of my computer. Yet, because I have to log in with a user name and not one called root, I am denied modification and write access to everything. How can I override this? I can't possibly run a system that requires me to login to something that is impossible to login to?
    go to the command line and type in 'kdesu konqueror'. i just learnt that tip about 5 minutes ago

This is a problem with your installation.

The deal with root is a built-in security feature of Unixes everywhere. It is extremely unsecure to use root for everyday work.

Personally, I'd recommend backing up your documents and then reinstalling. If you can't access anything, you probably messed something up through sudo. Which just shows the danger of using a root user for everyday access.

Just Joined!
    I can access things, I just can't write, copy etc. I don't see how i could have screwed up the install considering i did everything just as it told me to. Also, I couldn't have screwed up the root account because I haven't been able to use it.

That command line thing worked well, but unfortunately, that only seems to be a temporary solution.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast