Find the answer to your Linux question:
I have posted in debian post regarding my airport extreme card not being recognized wth my kubuntu 5.10 install. In the meantime, my newbie question is, even when I plug ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

kubuntu install newbie question

I have posted in debian post regarding my airport extreme card not being recognized wth my kubuntu 5.10 install. In the meantime, my newbie question is, even when I plug the network cable into the ibook, I still can't access the internet. Is there something I need to do for this to happen. If I go into network settings I can't find an autodetect feature except in the wireless section. Do I need to set anything in terminal? And, does anyone know whether I can have my imac be my wireless connection, and plug in a network cable between the laptop and the imac?(I know this is a linux forum, but if anyone knows that would be great). I have an ibook g4 and an imac g5, an airport express base station, express card in the imac, and extreme in the ibook...

Airport Extreme and Linux... not happening right now.

Just Joined!
    The only airport card supported/useable by any distro of linux right now is the original 802.11b card. That card won't work in your iMac G5 nor in your iBook G4. It was designed and used in the original powerbooks/G3 iBooks/G3 iMacs (second revs.)

As for plugging directly in, if you have the cable plugged in when booting, does your configuration say anything different?

Try this, plug in the cable directly, boot the machine, and then go into terminal and type
    Code:
    ifconfig
    Do you see a reference to "eth0"?

--adam