Find the answer to your Linux question:
I just finished configuring and modifying Kubuntu Linux and I had this thought: How secure is Linux. I mean, I know it's thousands of times more secure than Windows, but ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Is it really safe to use Linux?

I just finished configuring and modifying Kubuntu Linux and I had this thought:

How secure is Linux. I mean, I know it's thousands of times more secure than Windows, but is it really safe, especially without security software?

In that vein, I have been looking for reliable anti-virus and firewall software for Kubuntu Linux and have not found anything that has worked. The only one I got to function somewhat was guard dog, but no matter how I configured it, I could not use the Internet while it was running.

So what's the deal? Do I need programs like that? I've read that it's not necessary at the moment, but how will I know when it's time to get something? If I should download such programs, which ones should I use and will I still be able to run Linux the same?

Practicallly in linux, you don't have viruses, just bugs. I don't deal with any virus 'till now... I heard about the existence of viruses, but don't get one yet...

This is a very common question from MS Windows converts. The short answer is no, for most cases Linux does not need antivirus/antispyware/antianything software. The most security you need is a decent firewall, if that. Here are some threads that discuss this.

/forum/red-hat-fedora-linux/27493-virus-linux.html
    /forum/suse-linux/38713-antivirus-spyware-malware-all-crap.html
    /forum/security/28877-worth-installing-anti-virus.html
    /forum/red-hat-fedora-linux/34128-security-anti-virus-linux.html
    /forum/red-hat-fedora-linux/29158-spamkiller-antivirus.html
    /forum/newbie/31440-linux-spyware-free.html
    /forum/security/32756-linux-security.html
    Registered Linux user #270181
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants

Quote Originally Posted by noescasa
    I just finished configuring and modifying Kubuntu Linux and I had this thought:

How secure is Linux. I mean, I know it's thousands of times more secure than Windows, but is it really safe, especially without security software?

In that vein, I have been looking for reliable anti-virus and firewall software for Kubuntu Linux and have not found anything that has worked. The only one I got to function somewhat was guard dog, but no matter how I configured it, I could not use the Internet while it was running.

So what's the deal? Do I need programs like that? I've read that it's not necessary at the moment, but how will I know when it's time to get something? If I should download such programs, which ones should I use and will I still be able to run Linux the same?
    You could try ClamAV.

I have a really embarasing story. I used a linux box (Red Hat) for my gateway for the three Microsoft systems and a Mac on my home network before ADSL. I was paranoid about the windows security and did everything to ensure they where o.k. I have been attacked succesfully only once, and it was my Linux box that got rewted (rewt ya box, deletes the /proc folder somehow at boot). So my advice, dont get complacent, Linux CAN have vunerabilities when someone is clever enough to find them and use them. I've not heard of anything like this for some years but I do take some precautions now on the linux systems.

Also watch your password. Back in the early 90's whilst at Uni, 30% of our succesful hacks (on Unix) were achieved by the password for root as GOD or something to that tone, be sensible with your passwords.

oz
    forum.guy
    If "really safe" means totally safe, then no, it's not really safe, but then neither is anything else. That said, I find myself not all that concerned about security issues with Linux, at least in this stage of the game.