Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Need Help With Resolution Settings

've got a slight prob here now. Ok I've installed Ubuntu Breezy Badger on a Compaq desktop and all that went well. Now the monitor I'm usng for it is a 15"crt if not slightly smaller and a older monitor. Now after all the installation etc (which went well) the PC booted up to load Ubuntu etc. Now the prob I have here is that the monitor is fuzzy, i.e the resolution. I can sort of vaguely see the settings etc, so what I did was I choose to change back ground image and in there I see the res set to 1200 x 1600 pixels way to high for this type of monitor, if I had a lovely LCD than this would be a different story. Now how or what can I do to change it to say 800 x 600 so I can get the resolution right, like say can I boot into safe mode etc like Windows.

Open a terminal and input the command below:

$ sudo gedit/etc/X11/xorg.conf

This will open the file in a text editor with admin privi's.
    Next you just need to scroll down and change your default resolution.

The first number (in this case "1024x768") is the default.
    Edit it to be what you would like.

Save the file.
    Restart X or just reboot....

For example:

Code:
    SubSection "Display"
    		Depth		24
    		Modes		"1024x768" "800x600" "640x480"
    	EndSubSection
    It may be that your sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

Quote Originally Posted by St. Joe
    Open a terminal and input the command below:

$ sudo gedit/etc/X11/xorg.conf

This will open the file in a text editor with admin privi's.
    Next you just need to scroll down and change your default resolution.

The first number (in this case "1024x768") is the default.
    Edit it to be what you would like.

Save the file.
    Restart X or just reboot....

For example:

Code:
    SubSection "Display"
    		Depth		24
    		Modes		"1024x768" "800x600" "640x480"
    	EndSubSection

Sorry as I'm new to Linux I'm a bit loss. Now when you say terminal you mean my monitor, and also where in the monitor do I enter this info. The thing is I can hardly see the res or display due to the high res settings. I would of thought I could enter say like a safe mode where it uses only VGA res and very basic res.

Also say I want to change the res to 800x600 or lower how do I do this, do I need to type say 800x600 or will 800x600 already be there and all I do is choose it.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Now I did go into the terminal by pressing CTRL ALT F2. than I had to logn etc to get into the terminal to type the command you gave me being $ sudo gedit/etc/X11/xorg.conf.

As there was already a $ sign showing, do I need to re-type it as what youve listed. Also with the command above is there any spacing. The first go I typed it exactly as you listed above, and than it asked me to enter my password in which I did, but than I got an error saying $ sudo gedit/etc/X11/xorg.conf could not be found. So I thought perhaps the above command is wrong.

First, try pressing CTRL+ALT+ +/- on the keypad (right-hand side of your keyboard, not next to your backspace key).

If that didn't change anything, enter that code above without the $ and try again.

Quote Originally Posted by oosterhouse
    First, try pressing CTRL+ALT+ +/- on the keypad (right-hand side of your keyboard, not next to your backspace key).

If that didn't change anything, enter that code above without the $ and try again.
    Ok good news CTRL+ALT+ +/- on the keypad did work and fixed up my res, but now the Q here is will it keep to this or would I have to manually set it in the settings somewhere and if so can this be done without using the command line.

Now you can see what you're doing, so go to the terminal, do what St. Joe said, and if you have any difficulty just ask, I'll try to help.

I'm not sure if its in Ubuntu or not, but I seem to remember an icon on the top bar that allows you to change your resolution easily. Check on the top to the right of the menus, that will be alot easier, although I don't know if it will set it as default once you change it.

Linux Engineer
    @ TS: you don't need to switch to a terminal to achieve this. You can just open a console ('terminal') from within your graphical desktop. Just open whatever terminal emulator is installed on your Ubuntu system, and do
    Code:
    $ sudo /etc/X11/xorg.conf
    Then find the graphical resolution section and modify it as said above.
    Debian Jessie x86_64 & armhf :: LibreELEC is the solution for your Linux-based HTPC setups.

Ok I did manage to get into the setting or pref and change the screen res from there and than applied it. I changed it from 1200 x 1600 to 800 x 600 and applied the settings, hopefully this will lock it in and it will stay set permantely.

Really appreciate your help everybody.

Well this is my 1st ever install of Linus Ubuntu Breezy Badger or shall I just say linux and still need to get used to it. Well the same happened when I used Windows and after practice and practice I finally got used to it.

As they say "practice makes perfect".