Find the answer to your Linux question:
I was thinking about installing and trying out vmware player, I was wondering what distro I should try with it and how much harder it is (if it is harder) ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

How hard is it to run linux through vmware player?

I was thinking about installing and trying out vmware player, I was wondering what distro I should try with it and how much harder it is (if it is harder) than installing to a hard drive.

I've never tried it, but the immediate advantage to running something in VMWare is you don't run the risk of messing up any of your existing harddrive partitions. In a way, it's "safer" than a harddrive install. Of course, the performance will be much worse, but if you're just wanting to get a taste, it's probably good enough.

There's really no safety reason not to try it. I'd be interested to know how you did it and how well it performed.
    Registered Linux user #270181
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants

It's easy peasy, just download one of the community system images and run that. Once it's up and running, you can configure things just how you like. I have an Ubuntu image running on my Windows XP system at work. The limitation is that you cant set up your own images or create virtual PCs the way you'd just like them to be.
    Linux user #126863 - see http://linuxcounter.net/

Update:

I installed VMware player and got Ubuntu running on it, but it booted/ran VERY slowly. My computer isnt very fast, (2.70 ghz/256 mb) but still, that was really really slow.

Quote Originally Posted by oosterhouse
    I installed VMware player and got Ubuntu running on it, but it booted/ran VERY slowly. My computer isnt very fast, (2.70 ghz/256 mb) but still, that was really really slow.
    I dont think the speed of the machine is the problem, I think it's the lack of memory - 256Mb means windows going to be using a lot of swapfile to keep everyone happy. The machine at work has 4Gb of memory and it runs like a dream.
    Linux user #126863 - see http://linuxcounter.net/