Find the answer to your Linux question:
I have 3 simple questions about linux installation. What is the difference between a .bin and .rpm? I know that you need to use different commands to install them, but ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Question Program Installation in Linux

I have 3 simple questions about linux installation.

What is the difference between a .bin and .rpm? I know that you need to use different commands to install them, but do they install in the same way? Do they create the same folders, and the same paths, and the same links?

Also, When you install in windows, it modifies the registry files, and you can always see what you have installed, and you can uninstall programs at anytime. If you don't use yum or APT get to install programs, then how do you tell where they went, what they modified, and how do you get rid of them?

Finally, what is the purpose of .tar.gz files. Are these programs that you simply uncompress and run, or do you have to install those too. If you have to install them, then do they create links elewhere on your system, or do they simply keep all their files inside the uncompressed folder?

Thanks in advance for the replies.

Quote Originally Posted by Tommaso
    What is the difference between a .bin and .rpm? I know that you need to use different commands to install them, but do they install in the same way? Do they create the same folders, and the same paths, and the same links?
    A .BIN file is simply a binary executable (similar to a shell script) that puts certain files in certain places. It has no particular tie to anything in the system, and does not "register" anything.

An .RPM is a precompiled package that follows the Redhat Package Management standard. It also copies certain files into certain places, but the places vary by the program and distribution.

Also, When you install in windows, it modifies the registry files, and you can always see what you have installed, and you can uninstall programs at anytime. If you don't use yum or APT get to install programs, then how do you tell where they went, what they modified, and how do you get rid of them?
    The rpm -l command will list all the installed packages that were installed using RPM. As for where all the programs are, it shouldn't matter to you since rpm -e will find them and remove them, wherever that may be. If by "where they are" you mean "where the executable was linked" it's usually somewhere in the /bin or /usr/bin directories.

Finally, what is the purpose of .tar.gz files. Are these programs that you simply uncompress and run, or do you have to install those too.
    TAR.GZ files are usually uncompiled source code which you configure and then make install in order to compile and install them locally on your machine. Different programs put themselves in different places depending on the developer and the privileges of the user running the make command. Most also offer the option to make uninstall.

For more information on installing things in Linux, look at this tutorial:

http://www.linuxforums.org/forum/t93...re-readme.html
    Registered Linux user #270181
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants

Smile Thanks Techimoe!

thanks a lot for the reply techimoe. This cleared it up quite a bit. But i have just two more questions. I promise, just two:

When you say rpm -e do you mean cd to the rpm file and then type file.rpm -e in the terminal?

And how about .run files, where do they install/create links + how do you remove them (I installed the ati grqphics driver and i want to remove it now).

I can't answer the .run one, but I can do the rpm one.

When you install an RPM package, it is registered by RPM, and so RPM knows that it exists. So by simply typing 'rpm -e <package>', that package will be uninstalled. This approach will work even if you delete the original rpm file from your computer.

cool, thanks cabhan.

Quote Originally Posted by Tommaso
    And how about .run files, where do they install/create links + how do you remove them (I installed the ati grqphics driver and i want to remove it now).
    .RUN files have no set place where they all put things. It just depends on the script. See if there is any documentation on the .RUN file that tells you where everything is installed.
    Registered Linux user #270181
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants

There appears to be no documentation that came with the .run. All i can see in the folder, it the.run intself. I looked on the web but i can only find ways to intall the ATI dirver, not remove it. I am sending a email to the ATI support, but if anyone has anyideas, help would be apprecieated. Thanks