Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi! I'm trying to install glibc 2.3.6 on Debian distribution. It comes in a tar. So I untar it, and when I am asked to run configure, I type ./configure ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

glibc 2.3.6 installation

Hi! I'm trying to install glibc 2.3.6 on Debian distribution. It comes in a tar. So I untar it, and when I am asked to run configure, I type ./configure (in the directory where I extracted glibc) and it tells me that: "you must configure in a separate build directory". So what does that mean? How do I make that directory and which files should I copy there?
    Thanks!

Linux Enthusiast
    First off, I don't think you should be trying install glibc from source, it's a pretty painful ordeal (I know, I'm building a LFS system as we speak on another computer). Debian Etch (testing) comes with 2.3.5 and so there's no reason for you to want anything more (a sub-minor release really don't make that much of a difference).

Anyway, glibc require you to build on another directory. All you have to do is:
    Code:
    mkdir ../glibc-build
    cd ../glibc-build
    ../glibc-2.3.6/configure [and specify your option]
    Like I said before though, unless you really know what you are doing don't build glibc yourself.