Find the answer to your Linux question:
I've downloaded two distros in the past couple of days that claim to be .iso files ready to burn to cd then boot as a live distro. I must be ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Distros not iso

I've downloaded two distros in the past couple of days that claim to be .iso files ready to burn to cd then boot as a live distro. I must be missing something because when I un-rar the downloads, there's lots of different files and folders and certainly no .iso file that Nero or Daemon tools can see. There are no image files at all. Am I just missing something obvious? The distros are, PClinuxOS and Knoppix. Should I just burn it as an un-touched rar file onto cd? I'm doing all this in Windows, btw.

thanks

Paul
    Korean food is great - it's the dog's bollocks!
    Linux user number 406572.

where did you download from? the sites i visited have iso's listed

pclinux=http://ftp2.be.freesbie.org/packages/pclinuxos/live-cd/english/preview/

knoppix=ftp://ftp.uni-kl.de/pub/linux/knoppix/

andy
    SLOMO: acer extensa 5235 2.2ghz,2gb ram 160gb hdd wireless
    SPEEDY: homebrew desktop,Amd x2 dualcore,2gb ram,500gb +1tb( 2x500gb) hdd suse 11.3,32mb fibreline
    registered linux user #401845

no, no, no, you don't unzip .iso's you burn them directly to a cd with nero or something

Linux Newbie
    in linux, you can use k3b to burn iso files to a cd

Quote Originally Posted by dark_lord_kodd
    in linux, you can use k3b to burn iso files to a cd
    i think we're running on the assumption that he's using windows.

anyway, when you download the files they should have the .iso extension. this means that they are disc images to be burned to CD/DVD. use your favourite burning program and select burn iso image or burn cd image or whatever your burning program calls it. the keywords are iso and image. if it contains just one of these, you should be ok. you burn the .iso file to cd (just use the All Files display) then boot from it, which you should know how to do.
    Here's why Linux is easier than Windows:
    Package Managers! Apt-Get and Portage (among others) allow users to install programs MUCH easier than Windows can.
    Hardware Drivers. In SuSE, ALL the hardware is detected and installed automatically! How is this harder than Windows' constant disc changing and rebooting?

Linux Enthusiast
    A few common problems when burning an ISO are:

1. Burning at too high a speed, they are fraile bur at the lowest speed possible.

2. Just dragging the .sio into a cd and burning it, it wont work. With Nero, go to file> Burn Image> then whatever the .iso is, that is the way they work.

3. Dont unzip them.

I sussed it. My problem was way less complicated than that. I've downloaded more iso files in my time that I've had hot meals. Every time I did, though, it was an iso file or a file that once unrared was an iso file. That's what I was looking for today. What I ended up doing was simply burning the rar file with Nero, onto a cd and booting. I didn't know that rar files could also be image files. I booted up Knoppix and Slackware straight from rar (on a cd) voila!

thanks for the replies though.

Paul
    Korean food is great - it's the dog's bollocks!
    Linux user number 406572.

Linux Engineer
    It's not RAR, it's an iso that WinRAR can open, so it gets the application's icon... That's all .
    ** Registered Linux User # 393717 and proud of it ** Check out www.zenwalk.org
    ** Zenwalk 2.8 - Xfce 4.4 beta 2- 2.6.17.6 kernel = Slack on steroids! **