Find the answer to your Linux question:
I've always wanted to try the world of Linux. Last night, I decided to take the plunge and emerge from the comfy world of the macintosh into the dark domain ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

How to load any flavor of Linux onto a powermac G5 with an ATI X800XT?

I've always wanted to try the world of Linux. Last night, I decided to take the plunge and emerge from the comfy world of the macintosh into the dark domain of distros. I've downloaded and burned live CDs of PPC Gentoo, Ubuntu, Kubunto, but none of them work and all have the same problem. After booting up from them and typing "live," I get a white screen of death where it desperately tries to load the video drivers, I think. Typing "live video=ofonly" (or whatever it was, but I typed it right) did nothing to change the situation. I know the CDs work because they find the display and run just fine on my roommate's G4 Powerbook. It seems like my ATI X800XT video card is causing a problem, and while I still have my stock 9600 kicking around, it'd be a major pain in the butt to put it back in, and I don't want to swap out the GPU every time I boot into another OS.

Suggestions? Thanks a lot.

Linux Enthusiast
    You could always run one of the distros with a vesa driver, so it would use your GPU as generic, until the time you install the drivers for it.
    BTW, nice box

Just Joined!
    Pardon my ignorance, but how would I go about doing that? I'm a total newbie to Linux, and while I've dabbled with the FreeBSD that OS X is based on, I've never done any serious work with it.

Also, the problem is that I'm using Live CDs. I don't want to actually install anything until I get a feel for which distro to use. Is there any way to get a Live CD do boot with the generic VESA drivers? This would only be temporary since Maya (bless them for making a Linux version) likes a fast GPU and generic drivers prolly won't cut it.

Linux Enthusiast
    with Knoppix, when you boot it comes up with options, on one of the pages there is an option to use a vesa framebuffer, do that ( not sure if it is a framebuffer but meh)

Just Joined!
    I downloaded and burned a Knoppix CD, but it won't boot. Could it be x86 only? Either way, could you point me to a PPC one or how to do that with Ubuntu?

Linux Enthusiast
    Sorry about that, didnt read the post properly. It seems ppc live CDs are quite lacking after my quick search, sorry. Ummm.... there is Crux, fedora (iirc), ubuntu, and a few others that are installable, apart from that I am not that sure what to do, use solaris myself now