Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
hi, i just installed Linux Mandrake 10.1 and noticed it has issues with my X300 PCIxpress 16x card. while installing the OS, i said it wasn't config'd so i tryed ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Unhappy ATI Radeon x300 Driver Problems

hi, i just installed Linux Mandrake 10.1 and noticed it has issues with my X300 PCIxpress 16x card. while installing the OS, i said it wasn't config'd so i tryed out dozens of diffrent settings (mostly one of the three Radeon drivers), it kept telling me this:

(EE) No devices Detected.

and now that it has rebooted, it goes to the black and white mode. it asks me to log in, i managed to log into "root" and attempted "startx" to no avail. i noticed on the ATI site that they had the Xfree86 thing & also this like 40 meg driver .run which i have burned to a cd-rw but i have no idea how to use it or install it via a black and white mode thing. please help!

OK, so you should use that ati drivers that is saved as a .run
    All you need to do is mount the cd, and then execute the driver
    Once you have done that then run fglrxconfig to rewrite your xorg.conf file.
    This should fix your issue with graphics drivers.

This previous thread should help you step by step:
    /forum/newbie/53052-mount-cd-text-mode.html

Good luck, and hope this helps.

Just Joined!

Talking

THANK YOU FOR THE LINK!! i've spent 3 hours strait looking for those commands online! yay. i havne't tryed it yet (but i will in a few hours)

one thing, i posted this in nother forum, and the guy/gal who responded told me this:

If you are using PCI Express you should use Kernel 2.6.15 and above, as PCI Express is supported; though still experimental.
    ^^ although what u posted is exacly what i was looking for, whould that be a factor? cuz im using a semi-old distro, mandrake 10.1. im gonna buy a new comp in a few months (installin Linux Mandriva 2006 Free or Discovery/LX, depends if i like linux ) with a Nvidia card cuz nvidia has better linux support.

I won't upgrade the kernel (if thats even possible) but i shall do what u said and get back to u soon (hopefully using my Linux PC instead of my XP)

PCI express x 16 is the newer connection that allows transfer between your computer and the graphics card. It just replaced the older AGP which had previously replaiced PCI. I don't know if PCI express needs a newer kernel, but the idea sounds pretty realistic. If you want to see what kernel you currently have type this command:

Code:
    uname -r
    If you want to upgrade kernels it should be really easy. I am not sure what update command madrake has, but when i use fedora i can type yum update into my terminal and my computer will automatically update all the software, including the kernel. Yum woun't work for you, but madriva should have anouther command, that should make updating the kernel very easy. Good Luck

EDIT: i have a fully updated system, and i have kernel 2.6.14-1.1656_FC4. I don't think that you need an experimental kernel to support PCI express, but it is very possible that i am wrong.

Just Joined!

um... did it work?

okay im pretty sure i installed it. this is what happend:

Code:
    [root@localhost root]# /mnt/cdrom/ati-driver-installer-8.21.7-i386.run
    Creating directory fglrx-install
    Verifying archive integrity... All good.
    Uncompressing ATI Proprietary Linux Driver-8.21.7............................
    ...............................................................................................
    ...............................................................................................
    ====================================
    ATI Technologies Linux Driver Installer/Packager
    ====================================
    Detected configuration:
    Architecture: i686 (32-Bit)
    X Server: unable to detect
    Removing temporary directory fglrx-install
    [root@localhost root]# flgrxconfig
    -bash: flgrxconfig command not found
    Did i install it correctly? if so, how do i restart the comp thru the console (the linux comp has been on since yesterday , couldn't get it to shutdown, i didn't wanna risk messing it up either) i think sumthing whent wrong, cuz it said X Server was unable to decect and then it just stoped, i didn't get any confirmaiton that it installed right...

oh and i used the command to tell ya whta kernel i have, it said
    Code:
    2.6.8.1-12mdk

it's: fglrxconfig

not flgrxconfig --you just used the wrong command.

this command (the first one) will setup your xorg.conf file and then you should just be able to

startx
    All right, brain. You don't like me and I don't like you, but let's just do this and I can get back to killing you with beer. All New Users Read This!!! If you have a grub problem please look at GRUB MANUAL

It seems to me that the ATI driver can't find X windows. Did you install X windows when you installed the OS? if you didn't then you may need to do that first. If you don't have X, then you can't install drivers. Here is what the output should look like (at least here is what mine looks like):

[root@localhost opt]# ./ati*
    Creating directory fglrx-install
    Verifying archive integrity... All good.
    Uncompressing ATI Proprietary Linux Driver-8.20.8............................................ .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. ................................................
    ==================================================
    ATI Technologies Linux Driver Installer/Packager
    ==================================================
    Detected configuration:
    Architecture: i686 (32-bit)
    X Server: Xorg 6.8.2
    on a system running x windows, a nice GUI should pop up, but since you can't get into X, then you should have a text install.
    Here is a tutorial for installing the Ati Driver (not running fgrlx config) http://www2.ati.com/drivers/linux/installernotes.html I think that you will go through the same procedure, except you will see the same options through a text based terminal, not a GUI. Then once you do that you can run fglrxconfig.

Just Joined!
    i think i saw somthing like Xorg while installing, i either chose the regular one or the 3d one, i have no idea if i installed X windows, where can i get it / how do i install it? sorry if i sound really newbie but i've never used linux (im quite experenced with windows & computer hardware tho), thanks for your help so far!

Well, what is the output of startx or at least, what happens when you type startx? that should help us deduce whether you have x or not.

If you don't have X, then maybe you can use apt-get to install it. here is a tutorial, scroll down to the apt-get section and it will show you how to use apt-get http://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/de...l/ch-dpkg.html

I might be saying something really stupid, because i have never used madriva, so i only think it is debian based. If it is not, then you cannot use apt-get.

by the way, if you want to restart the computer type
    Code:
    reboot
    and if you want to shut down
    Code:
    shutdown
    it is possible that you will have to do /sbin/shutdown for it to work.

Just Joined!
    i typed startx , it flashes black then alot of stuff comes up on the console

Code:
     Using vt 7
    (EE) No devices decected
    ^^ that is one which stands out (everything above tells info like when the distro's date is, and the definitions of the markers, (EE) = Error.)

Code:
     Fatal server error:
    no screens found

Please consult the X.Org foundation support
                  at http://wiki.X.Org
    for help.

Please also check the log file at "/var/log/Xorg.0.log" for additional information.

IO: fatal IO error 104 (Connection reset by peer) on X server ":0.0"
          after 0 requests (0 known processed) with 0 events remaning
    ^^^ that comes directly after the 1st code box in this post. it doesn't sound good... what should i do now?

oh and i checked out apt- get, i think it requires an open internet connection, i don't think i can get that done since i haven't configed it, i can however burn it to the CD-RW i've been erasing ans reburing with no problem.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast