Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi! Tried to configure MPlayer on Debian, got the following errors: Checking for kernel support of mmx ... failed It seems that your kernel does not correctly support mmx. To ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

MPlayer installation problems

Hi! Tried to configure MPlayer on Debian, got the following errors:

Checking for kernel support of mmx ... failed
    It seems that your kernel does not correctly support mmx.
    To use mmx extensions in MPlayer, you have to upgrade/recompile your kernel!
    Checking for kernel support of mmx2 ... failed
    It seems that your kernel does not correctly support mmx2.
    To use mmx2 extensions in MPlayer, you have to upgrade/recompile your kernel!
    Checking for kernel support of sse ... failed
    It seems that your kernel does not correctly support sse.
    To use sse extensions in MPlayer, you have to upgrade/recompile your kernel!

So, do I really need to recompile my kernel, or something else can be done? If not, how canI recompile it with MMX support?

Thank you.

Linux Engineer
    What processor do you use? And what kernel?
    ** Registered Linux User # 393717 and proud of it ** Check out www.zenwalk.org
    ** Zenwalk 2.8 - Xfce 4.4 beta 2- 2.6.17.6 kernel = Slack on steroids! **

Linux User
    Are you installing the Mplayer packages for Debian or are you compiling Mplayer yourself ?

unofficiall Debian mplayer packages are available from the debian-marillat repository.. check bottom of page.. http://hpisi.nerim.net/
    far...out

Just Joined!
    Kernel version is 2.6.8 for 386; Processor is Mobile Intel Pentium III 1200M;

Linux Engineer
    It seems strange to me Debian's kernel wouldn't support mmx or sse... Plus, this is a fairly recent kernel (2.6.x). I would follow farslayer's advice and install mplayer packages compiled for debian. Debian has one of the largest package databases in the linux world, so nearly every piece of software a deb package available.
    ** Registered Linux User # 393717 and proud of it ** Check out www.zenwalk.org
    ** Zenwalk 2.8 - Xfce 4.4 beta 2- 2.6.17.6 kernel = Slack on steroids! **

Linux Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by Dark Wizdom
    Kernel version is 2.6.8 for 386; Processor is Mobile Intel Pentium III 1200M;
    You can install the 686 kernel; it is more optimized and probably helps with the MMX support, etc.

Linux User
    Quote Originally Posted by spoon!
    You can install the 686 kernel; it is more optimized and probably helps with the MMX support, etc.
    Good call, since the i386 did not have mmx or sse in it.. mmx support wasn't added until late in the pentium line, and sse wasn't added until the pentium II series.

apt-get install kernel-image-2.6.8-2-686
    far...out

Also, if I recall correctly, there are a couple of Mplayer packages available through apt-get, some of which are optimised for specific architectures, for example i586, i686, etc. Install the i686 (or 586 if there is no 686, though I'm pretty sure there is).

Just Joined!
    Thank you for replies guys, will install 686 Kernel and try it that way.