Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi I have a question... does linux start automatically in the multiuser mode? and to remotely connect, if there is someone already working on the linux machine (not remotely)... do ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

linux in multi user mode

Hi

I have a question... does linux start automatically in the multiuser mode?
    and to remotely connect, if there is someone already working on the linux machine (not remotely)... do I need multiuser mode then?

I use FC4. If multiuser mode does not automatically start... then how should I do It?

Do you mean by multiuser mode that more than one user can be logged on at a time? If so, then this is the default behavior of Linux.

Exactly as lakerdonald said. Though you will first have to create a new user (FC4 probably has a graphical tool to do this, or you can use the commands 'adduser' or 'useradd' in the console) first.

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by lakerdonald
    Do you mean by multiuser mode that more than one user can be logged on at a time? If so, then this is the default behavior of Linux.
    yes, thats what I meant.

But do I need to create another user or can I remote login with the root account?

And FC4 has idd a GUI for adding accounts.

Quote Originally Posted by root@localdomain
    But do I need to create another user or can I remote login with the root account?
    You can remote log in with the same user as many times as you want, from any number of locations, or even in multiple shell windows from one location. The prefered method for doing this is "ssh", which uses encryption unlike the older "telnet" method. "Telnet" can be made to work if you really want it, but by default most Linux distributions do NOT accept telnet connections due to security concerns.

I'm not familiar with FC4 in particular, but I do know that various linux distributions vary in terms of whether or not root is allowed to remote login by default.
    Isaac Kuo, ICQ 29055726 or Yahoo mechdan