Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi, I have a "which distro" question that doesn't seem to have been answered yet (at least not since 1994 ). I searched the forums, took the "which distro" test, ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Graphical Linux on 512MB HD?

Hi,

I have a "which distro" question that doesn't seem to have been answered yet (at least not since 1994 ). I searched the forums, took the "which distro" test, checked out distrowatch and haven't found any useful information.

My machine:

512MB compact flash HD (will consider 1GB)
    256MB RAM 400mhz
    AMD Sempron 2800+
    GeForce MX 4000 128MB

It's a very minimal machine for good reason: It's quiet and cheap.

I need to install an OS on it and have only a few requirements.

1. I need this computer to be able to display 2D animations in high-res, with sound.
    2. I need about 80 MB for those animations, leaving 432MB for the OS

Suggestions?

DSL (damn small linux) perfect for the job

http://damnsmalllinux.org

It's a 50mb download, and works as a live cd, you can install it to the hard drive by making the partitions and running sudo -u root dsl-hdinstall , more on that here. it takes up around 100mb installed (ish)

If you would like something with KDE and is more modular you should look at [url=http://www.slax.org]Slax[/Slax]

It is based on Slackware, but has some great live features. It boots into CLI, but has a light window manager and KDE. It can be installed live, where it only takes 200-300 MB including any modules you add, or as a full distribution which should be closer to 400-500 MB. I find it to be my favourite live OS. Plus check you the modules page for it, you really can customise it completely especially if you want it keep it running as a live OS. I have SLax 5.0.6 running on a USB key. It has about 18 modules added which it loads without a second thought and still only takes about 270MB on the USB key, which leaves me with a lot of space. It's also nice to know that Slax is optimised for i396 so should run on any x86 based processor from the last 15 years, other resources permitting.

Linux Newbie
    Quote Originally Posted by jaafit
    Hi,

I have a "which distro" question that doesn't seem to have been answered yet (at least not since 1994 ). I searched the forums, took the "which distro" test, checked out distrowatch and haven't found any useful information.

My machine:

512MB compact flash HD (will consider 1GB)
    256MB RAM 400mhz
    AMD Sempron 2800+
    GeForce MX 4000 128MB

It's a very minimal machine for good reason: It's quiet and cheap.

I need to install an OS on it and have only a few requirements.

1. I need this computer to be able to display 2D animations in high-res, with sound.
    2. I need about 80 MB for those animations, leaving 432MB for the OS

Suggestions?
    You could try the Arch Linux base install, it's minimalistic and then, using Pacman, you could download which ever programs you wanted (and their dependancies).

oz
    forum.guy
    DSL (as already suggested) is one of the smallest, yet most powerful distros out there. I highly recommend trying it.

Before I start, I would like to say that yes, your answer has already been answered about a million times already on these forums. I find it hard to believe you havn't come across any threads for questions about linux distros for slow, old, outdated etc hardware.

Basically, the distros that people want for outdated or slow hardware are:
    ~DSL
    ~Puppy linux
    ~Vector linux
    ~Zenwalk linux
    ~(possibly) Slackware

etc etc etc.

Please just research distrowatch, search the forums and google. I know I'm probably over reacting, and I apologise for the people who think I am. Its just these forums continually get flooded with questions like these. People will find that questions like these will most probably be already answered elsewhere.

slackware's way to heavy for 500mb (with x). i can be achieved when you disable all the devel stuff and kde. if you were going to go for slackware, you spend a lot of time trying to get the stuff to fit on the hdd.

btw, i had more success running the dsl hdd install than i did a slackware install on a 486.

the only problem is that its not very customisable. without installing a lot of packages.

just my 2 cents
    /weed
    "Time has more than one meaning, and is more than one dimension" - /.unknown
    --Registered Linux user #396583--

Linux Enthusiast
    You could get one of the samsung spinpoint 40gb hard drives for around 35, they are incredibly quiet and cheap too, you will find you fill up 512mb QUICK.

Anyways, Damnsmalllinux would be good or netbsd, or freebsd maybe.

Just Joined!
    Thanks for the suggestions. I had a look at DSL, Arch, and SLAX. I'm going to try SLAX for now simply because I found about about people running OpenGL on SLAX, but not on any others. Do all 3 of these run OpenGL ok?

My first requirement of 2-D animations is the most important now that I have all these great distros to try. I have yet to decide what format these animations are going to be in. I'm thinking OpenGL because I can then do the animations programatically. But I also have only 1 month to finish this project.

Should I look into something easier? Like flash?

Linux Enthusiast
    They will all, with some tinkering, run opengl and flash.

The GIMP is good for 2d animation, google it.