Find the answer to your Linux question:
Here's Sony support's answer. Maybe someone here can give me a little more help. My model is the RC210G. LiveAssist Transcript Print Copy Email Close chat id : dd617d13-6c4e-4dbc-9c3b-ab466916e2b3 Problem ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

New Sony Desktop Linux safe (or even capable)?

Here's Sony support's answer. Maybe someone here can give me a little more help. My model is the RC210G.

LiveAssist Transcript

Print Copy Email Close
    chat id : dd617d13-6c4e-4dbc-9c3b-ab466916e2b3
    Problem : New OS
    Albert_ > Hi Nate, Welcome to Sony Online Support. I am Albert. I will be glad to assist you.
    Albert_ > Could you please help me understand your concern? Thank you.
    nate > ok, albert, here's my question. i'm a subscriber to MSDN,and would like to install Win XP Pro on my computer, and delete everything else on the hard drive. I wanted to know where i could get all the hardware drivers i need once its installed
    Albert_ > Nate, Your Desktop is supplied with Microsoft Windows XP Media Center Edition 2005 with Update Rollup 2.
    Albert_ > It is not supported to install Windows XP Professional in your Desktop.
    Albert_ > For your information, Windows XP Media Center Edition is advanced version than Windows XP Professional.
    nate > i've already been having little problems with media, and i own xp pro. i bought a vaio laptop from you about 2 years ago, and stripped the hard drive, and installed xp pro
    nate > why wouldn't that work with this pc?
    nate > is it the pentium d?
    Albert_ > Your Desktop is supplied with Intel Pentium D Processor 930 (3GHz , 2MBx2 L2 Cache).
    Albert_ > Please refer to Marketing Specifications for your Desktop for further information.
    Albert_ > I will forward the page where you can download the available documentation for your Desktop.
    Albert_ > http://esupport.sony.com/perl/model-...GCRC210G&LOC=3
    Albert_ > Please click on the link to view the page.
    Albert_ > Are you able to view the page?
    nate > yeah
    nate > i have 2 other quick questions for you
    Albert_ > Sure, please go ahead.
    nate > if xp pro can't be installed (im assuming because of the 64 processor) will i still be able to partition the hard drive, and install a Linux based operating system?
    Albert_ > Your Desktop is specifically designed to work with Windows XP Media Center Edition.
    Albert_ > Sony does not support or recommend to have Linux Operating System installed in VAIO Computer.
    nate > only specifically designed in the sense it has the drivers dl. in theory i should be able to buy all the hardware components, but them together, and install any operating system that can handle a pentium d
    Albert_ > Nate, I can understand your concern.
    Albert_ > The Harware supplied with the VGCRC210G Desktop is designed to work with Media Center Edition.
    nate > ok. i understand that Linux is freeware, and you guys can't be held responsible for the outcome of installing a Linux based system on here, but is there serious documented error of any sort with linux operating with this pc? I want to be sure not to damage anything. I guess I'm asking, if this pc CAN run it?
    nate > because my vaio laptop runs it, but it has a centrino processor
    Albert_ > Sony has not tested the VAIO Computer with Linux Operating Systems and does not support as of now.
    Albert_ > VAIO Computer shipped with Windows XP Media Center Edition is not supported to install previous versions of Windows Operating Systems.
    Albert_ > I will forward the page for your reference where the relevant information is provided.
    nate > ok
    Albert_ > http://www.iq.sony.com/srvs/autoresp....asp?id=356075
    Albert_ > Please click on the link to view the page.
    Albert_ > Are you able to view the page?
    nate > yes....ok my last quation is, how much of the hard drive is taken up saving the os installation files?
    Albert_ > Are you referring to the space acquired by Recovery Wizard?
    nate > i think. the space that's not usable because the os recovery files are there
    Albert_ > Nate, I truly wish I could have answered you question.
    Albert_ > The specific information on this for your Desktop is not available online.
    Albert_ > Please refer to Marketing Specifications for your Desktop for further information.
    nate > do you know if i delete the partition with a partition manager of sorts, can i ever use that space?
    Albert_ > You can reclaim the partition by erasing the Recovery partition.
    Albert_ > It is highly recommended to create the Recovery Media Kit before you reclaim the VAIO Recovery Partition.
    nate > ok albert thanks. you've been awsome
    nate > thats all of my questions
    Albert_ > Thank you.
    Albert_ > Thank you for contacting Sony Online Support. Please feel free to contact us for further assistance.
    Albert_ > Analyst has closed chat and left the room

I'll try to answer your questions:
    Quote Originally Posted by Respectall34
    .. here's my question. i'm a subscriber to MSDN,and would like to install Win XP Pro on my computer, and delete everything else on the hard drive. I wanted to know where i could get all the hardware drivers i need once its installed
    No idea. Perhaps, you should try googling around for the relevant hardware specs and links for drivers.

i've already been having little problems with media, and i own xp pro. i bought a vaio laptop from you about 2 years ago, and stripped the hard drive, and installed xp pro
    nate > why wouldn't that work with this pc?
    nate > is it the pentium d?
    Linux and Win XP should work fine with the Pentium D and other presently available x86-64 processors in a 32 bit mode. However, yor mileage may vary with all other connected peripherials and motherboard/chipset type in Linux..

if xp pro can't be installed (im assuming because of the 64 processor) will i still be able to partition the hard drive, and install a Linux based operating system?
    Yes, but before resizing the partition, make sure you defragment it first. Also, if you have multiple hard drives in RAID configuration, you will have trouble getting Linux to run on it.

only specifically designed in the sense it has the drivers dl. in theory i should be able to buy all the hardware components, but them together, and install any operating system that can handle a pentium d
    yes, in theory it is possible.

ok. i understand that Linux is freeware, and you guys can't be held responsible for the outcome of installing a Linux based system on here, but is there serious documented error of any sort with linux operating with this pc? I want to be sure not to damage anything. I guess I'm asking, if this pc CAN run it?
    google around to see if someone else has got it running. Or try it yourself and tell the world.

yes....ok my last quation is, how much of the hard drive is taken up saving the os installation files?
    Albert_ > Are you referring to the space acquired by Recovery Wizard?
    No real idea, but I'd guess it to be atleast the size of a DVD 4 - 6 GB.

Quote Originally Posted by Respectall34"
    do you know if i delete the partition with a partition manager of sorts, can i ever use that space?
    yes, you can use that space, but beware if your windows partition does screw up and you don't have any recovery disks, then you are on your own.....

Hope this helps.
    Life is complex, it has a real part and an imaginary part.

Just Joined!
    Thanks for your help, much appreciated.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    that was very poor service you got from that sony guy regarding linux. its quite dissapointing considering sony released a kit for the ps2 with linux.
    i spose though they are paid to say that kind of stuff.

good luck with running linux on your laptop,

/weed
    "Time has more than one meaning, and is more than one dimension" - /.unknown
    --Registered Linux user #396583--

My advice would be to run a live cd first to see if it works (ie. can mount drives, properly recognizes video hardware...).

Bryan
    Looking for a distro? Look here.
    "There can be no doubt that all our knowledge begins with experience." - Immanuel Kant (Critique of Pure Reason)
    Queen's University - Arts and Science 2008 (Sociology)
    Registered Linux User #386147.

Linux User
    from experince my mates sony viao works with linux. The drivers only he had to download was the centreno wireless drivers, everything else was reconised.
    All i want for christmas is a new liver....a second chance to get afflicted with Cirrhosis

omg, that was terrible support. they basically told you that you can't do anything but install media 2005 lol. my personal recommendation for laptop linux would be suse. on my own laptop, it's the only distribution that works properly without any hassle. but that's just me
    Here's why Linux is easier than Windows:
    Package Managers! Apt-Get and Portage (among others) allow users to install programs MUCH easier than Windows can.
    Hardware Drivers. In SuSE, ALL the hardware is detected and installed automatically! How is this harder than Windows' constant disc changing and rebooting?

as far as i know, the vaio's are reasonably well supported by distros like suse.
    best way to see is run a live cd (as someone above said) something like knoppix would probably be the best test.
    You know, aliens are going to come to earth in 50 years and kill the hell out of us for DDoSing their networks with this SETI crap
    registered linux user #388463