Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Hi, i have recently installed debian on my laptop and i'm running Kde, logging in as user, 2 questions 1) the only folder which i can write to is /home/user ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

files/ folders in linux + installing software

Hi, i have recently installed debian on my laptop and i'm running Kde, logging in as user,

2 questions

1) the only folder which i can write to is /home/user
    for everything else i get error messages eg.
    Code:
    Access denied to /usr/local/New Folder.
    Do I need root for this, or is there just something wrong?

2) After reading the tutorial installing Software in GNU/Linux, i tried unzipped flashplayer

i get something like this:

Code:
    kevinpan@yunhe:~$ ls
    Desktop     install_flash_player_7_linux.tar  Mail              Syllabus
    hello       jre-1_5_0_06-linux-i586.bin       music
    index.html  LimeWireLinux.rpm                 p39fkoaqregw.zip
    kevinpan@yunhe:~$ tar -zxvf install_flash_player_7_linux
    tar: install_flash_player_7_linux: Cannot open: No such file or directory
    tar: Error is not recoverable: exiting now
    tar: Child returned status 2
    tar: Error exit delayed from previous error
    s

thanks

For 1. you'll have to be root to edit etc. anything outside /home/username. In the terminal just do e.g.
    Code:
    su
    rootpass
    mkdir /usr/local/new_folder
    As for the installation of the flashplayer, I'd go and use debian's package managment tool apt-get. The easiest may to do this is to use synaptec graphical frontend, to install this fronted do:
    Code:
    su
    rootpass
    apt-get install synaptec
    and then it'll install, and then once installed start it up with
    Code:
    synaptec
    . Use it's search facility to look for the flash player, and install it.

If you need to install it via the .tar file you'll have to do:
    Code:
    tar -xvf install_flash_player_7_linux.tar
    ls -l
    You should see a new file or directory named somthing like install_flash_player_7_linux. It sohuld be a directory, and to enter it do
    Code:
    cd directory_name
    ls -l
    it should have a bunch of files one being README or INSTALL - read these and it should tell you further how to install it.
    Registered Linux User #371543!
    Get force-get May The Source Be With You
    /dev/null
    /dev/null2

Just Joined!
    yeh, thanks.

i can't use apt -get install synaptec because i haven't updated the sources list or something.../
    Code:
    yunhe:/home/kevinpan# apt-get install synaptec
    Reading Package Lists... Done
    Building Dependency Tree... Done
    E: Couldn't find package synaptec

is it possible to use root without using the terminal, to do stuff like edit the etc/apt/sources list.

If not, is there a tutorial with all these commands?

You might want to have a look at this guide in the sectoin regarding apt-get: http://www.linuxforums.org/forum/t93...re-readme.html

You should be able to edit file with a graphical text editor if you envoke it as root:
    Code:
    su
    rootpass
    xedit /etc/apt/sources.list
    (replace xedit with another gui text editor if you want).

As for command line commands you might want to read this: /forum/linux-tutorials-howtos-reference-material/1135-guide-people-new-linux-command-line.html

dylunio
    Registered Linux User #371543!
    Get force-get May The Source Be With You
    /dev/null
    /dev/null2

Quote Originally Posted by kevinpan
    i can't use apt -get install synaptec because i haven't updated the sources list or something.../
    Code:
    yunhe:/home/kevinpan# apt-get install synaptec
    Reading Package Lists... Done
    Building Dependency Tree... Done
    E: Couldn't find package synaptec
    This output is saying it can't find a package called "synaptec," but it doesn't tell you that what you probably want is "synaptic" with an "i." Getting the name exactly right makes all the difference on the command line.
    Debian nromally comes with the Synaptic package manager installed by default, so check your menus to see if it's already there. It'll ask for your root password when you run it, and once you're in, there's an option for graphically editing your repositories list (taken straight from /etc/apt/sources.list).
    Stand up and be counted as a Linux user!

Just Joined!
    OK. thanks

new problem(s):

1. when i log into KDE session, and leave my laptop (Toshiba Dynabook) on for say, 2 hrs, the screen becomes black (power still on), and does not repond to any keystrokes or mouse movement, and i have to restart using power button.

2. the system can't detect my mp3 player(usb) that had previously worked on Windows, anyone know a solution?

3. what does this mean?
    Code:
    E: Could not get lock /var/lib/apt/lists/lock - open (11 Resource temporarily un available)

For #3:
    It looks like you're trying to run an ap-get command from a terminal, while you have a program open that uses the apt tools (such as Synaptic or dselect). Is that true? Programs like Synaptic will put a lock on the apt tools to get exclusive use of them. It's a guard against destroying your system. Just close the program and you'll be able to use apt on the command line.

For #2:
    This takes some work, but is doable. First let me note that some distros (such as Ubuntu) will automatically detect and mount USB devices and put an icon on the desktop to give you easy access to it. I looked for a way to do that on Debian, but came up empty-handed. Maybe someone else knows how to do that and can advise you better, but all I can tell you is what I've done to make my USB mass storage devices easier to use.
    First, open a terminal, su to root, and type
    Code:
    tail -f /var/log/syslog
    That will show you the last several lines of your system log file. the "-f" option stands for "follow," meaning rather than just print out the end of the file and go back to a command prompt, it will keep watching for additions to the file and print them as they occur.
    Now plug in your MP3 player (or any other USB device) and watch for lines talking about a new USB device. You should see a line saying
    Code:
    Vendor: [maker of the MP3 player]     Model: [model]     Rev: [revision #]
    followed by a line with something like "Type: Direct-Access." after that line you'll see a line that says "SCSI device ..." Make a note of the three letters that come next (should be sda, sdb, sdc, or sdd, but could be "sd" plus any other letter).
    Can you get it that far?

Just Joined!
    nup i get this

Code:
    Jan 30 03:12:50 localhost hal.hotplug[2510]: could not get mountpoint for sysfs
    Jan 30 03:13:40 localhost kernel: hub.c: new USB device 00:0c.0-2, assigned address 12
    Jan 30 03:13:40 localhost kernel: WARNING: USB Mass Storage data integrity not assured
    Jan 30 03:13:40 localhost kernel: USB Mass Storage device found at 12
    Jan 30 03:13:40 localhost hal.hotplug[2552]: could not get mountpoint for sysfs
    Jan 30 03:13:43 localhost usb.agent[2553]:      usb-storage: already loaded

Are you by chance using a 2.6.9 or 2.6.10 kernel?
    It seems those kernels have a module (CONFIG_BLK_DEV_UB) that interferes with the proper functioning of flash drives.
    Check this thread and this thread (near the bottom) for more details.

Just Joined!
    I can't find the linux directory in /usr/src where the config file is suppose to be.

and btw, how do i find out which kernal i'm using

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast