Find the answer to your Linux question:

View Poll Results: What's the best distro for new linux users without much computing experience?

Voters
20. You may not vote on this poll
  • Knoppix

3 15.00%
  • Kubuntu

4 20.00%
  • PCLinuxOS

4 20.00%
  • Mepis

3 15.00%
  • Kanotix

1 5.00%
  • Other (Please Specify)

5 25.00%
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Originally Posted by oosterhouse ps - Why couldn't you get pclinuxos working? Not compatible with your hardware or something? It worked but was slow as thick molasses. It had something ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    oz
    forum.guy

Quote Originally Posted by oosterhouse
    ps - Why couldn't you get pclinuxos working? Not compatible with your hardware or something?
    It worked but was slow as thick molasses. It had something to do with the nvidia drivers and took about 2 minutes to fully boot, so I didn't spend much time trying to fix it as I was really only wanting to see what PCLinuxOS was all about.

This happened all of the four or five different times I've tried it in the past, so I don't try it anymore. I'm sure it's a good distro, but it didn't like my hardware for whatever reason.

That one and Yoper are the two distros that seem to never want to work on my machines, for some reason.

After putting it off for years, I finally took the plunge and started trying out various distros.

So far I've installed (and formatted) Suse, Mandriva, Zenwalker, Ubuntu, DSL, Slackware and PClinuxOS. I've briefly tried others, but that's all I remember off the top of my head. I plumped for Mandriva 2006 with KDE in the end, simply for ease of use and user friendliness.
    Korean food is great - it's the dog's bollocks!
    Linux user number 406572.

Just Joined!
    Hi,
    I'll give a nod to Xandros.....and yes I know that the "purists" don't like a corporation distro....but....I'm the kind of person that just needs it to "work"...I lead a very busy lifestyle and HAVE to have a computer that does what I need when I turn it on every time....no ifs ands or buts.....

But....actually I am hueing to the GNU ideal....I used nothing but the OCE editon for the last 7 months...and after buying a Brother printer(another thread) I am now Windoze free....except for a dual boot I have to have for the j/c whereat I teach...it will only recognize IE....yes Firefox can get IN....but nothing but text....

Anyhow...I've installed Xandros with NO problems first time, every time on everything from 486 machies to P4 1.3 ghz....now yes....the 486 runs SLOOOOWWW....and I didn't donate it, it is still in the garage....but PI's run pretty slow, PII ok, but won't run Tux Racer(that is my kind of "benchmark") PIII 450mhz is getting there...Tux is still jiggy....but PIII 750 mhz and Tux runs fine...

I put it on old Creatives and Rages...HP's below the 700 series are just found, 128 mb of ram is fine, but 192 makes things quite zippy...normally use 3.2 gig HDs for donation machines, but have been down in the twos but swap files are small...so they are slower....

LIttle ol' ladies...... a man with alzheimers that just wanted to play pinochle online(?that one was strange)....kids doing school work....it just works.....four clicks...one to tell it whether to take over the HD or dual boot, one for time/date....one for printer(accept it, XS has already found it...just wants approval) whether you use your right or left hand for your mouse(?) I guess they had to ask SOMETHING...and that's it....it doesn't ask you about finding the net....it just does it and sits waiting with a nice blue screen...

Now....I could have stayed OCE...but I paid a premium membership so that I could just click other apps I need rather than getting them with apt-get.....which I can now comfortably learn instead of HAVING to learn it...

But.....that's why I clicked "other"

EDIT: PPS.....and becuse XS was so easy, I was able to come here....and serendiptiously find a thread on "home theater system" which gave a link to Atomic Linux.....and a friend of mine is going to try it and I have enough confidence to also try it myself!"

ain't xandros great!
    woodsmoke

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    This thread is probably going to be locked, as there have been countless polls and questions refering to the most "newbie friendly distro". I would say any of the distros suggested previously in this thread are fine.

Out of the ones listed, I highly recommend Mepis.
    Linux Mint + IceWM Registered: #371367 New Members: click here

1. I agree with what ~tux~ said...this thread is likely going to be locked.
    2. While I am here, I would have to say all of the options listed above.

Bryan
    Last edited by bryansmith; 01-29-2006 at 04:20 AM.
    Looking for a distro? Look here.
    "There can be no doubt that all our knowledge begins with experience." - Immanuel Kant (Critique of Pure Reason)
    Queen's University - Arts and Science 2008 (Sociology)
    Registered Linux User #386147.

oz
    forum.guy
    Quote Originally Posted by Dapper Dan
    Out of the ones listed, I highly recommend Mepis.
    Yeah, Mepis is good. It's been quite a while since I've used it so it's about time to give it another go.

oz

Alright Super Moderators go ahead and lock it. I was just looking for an opinion of what I thought was a different situation than the other threads described. I've got something installed on it so lock away!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2