Find the answer to your Linux question:

View Poll Results: What's the best distro for new linux users without much computing experience?

Voters
20. You may not vote on this poll
  • Knoppix

3 15.00%
  • Kubuntu

4 20.00%
  • PCLinuxOS

4 20.00%
  • Mepis

3 15.00%
  • Kanotix

1 5.00%
  • Other (Please Specify)

5 25.00%
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
What do you think the best distro for new linux users would be? I'm asking this because my friend wanted me to fix his computer because windows kept crashing (surprise, ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Question Best distro for new linux users?

What do you think the best distro for new linux users would be? I'm asking this because my friend wanted me to fix his computer because windows kept crashing (surprise, surprise), and he said to put linux on it. All he needs is basically Gaim, Firefox, Limewire, and a music player..so I've got it narrowed down to these. I picked KDE because it will be more familiar to him. Your input is appreciated.

Well, since I've got to install this thing today..I went ahead and I'm going to install Kubuntu on it. Thanks anyway.

Linux Engineer
    I think this is the kind of polls that has been held tons of times .
    ** Registered Linux User # 393717 and proud of it ** Check out www.zenwalk.org
    ** Zenwalk 2.8 - Xfce 4.4 beta 2- 2.6.17.6 kernel = Slack on steroids! **

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    I was surprised SuSE didn't make the list. Of the distros I've tried, SuSE was the easiest to install and maintain, and by far had the friendliest interface.
    Stand up and be counted as a Linux user!

oz
    forum.guy
    oosterhouse... if you can, you need to add SUSE, Mandriva, Fedora, and Ubuntu to the list, as they are probably the most popular distros for new users.

Quote Originally Posted by ozar
    oosterhouse... if you can, you need to add SUSE, Mandriva, Fedora, and Ubuntu to the list, as they are probably the most popular distros for new users.
    SuSe didn't work well for me the time I tried it..atleast SuSe 10 didn't. I've never installed or tried mandriva and ubuntu wasn't on the list because he wanted more windows-like. (KDE) Thanks though.

oz
    forum.guy
    Okay, I think I get it now... you aren't really looking for the "best newbie distro", but just which one is the best out of those listed. Is that correct?

If so, I think... other.

Okay, I think I get it now... you aren't really looking for the "best newbie distro", but just which one is the best out of those listed. Is that correct?

If so, I think... other.
    Well those are the easier ones I've tried so far. I want to try mandriva sometime but I didn't want to install something on his computer that I wasn't sure was that easy.

oz
    forum.guy
    You should probably put something on there you think is easy to install and use, and then encourage him/her to try other distros whenever they feel that they're ready. You already know how everyone has different ideas on all of this, so while some like one thing, others hate it.

For the life of me, I've never been able to get PCLinuxOS to run correctly on my machines, whereas Knoppix installed and ran beautifully.

Regardless of which route you take, good luck with your's and your friend's project.

You should probably put something on there you think is easy to install and use, and then encourage him/her to try other distros whenever they feel that they're ready. You already know how everyone has different ideas on all of this, so while some like one thing, others hate it.

For the life of me, I've never been able to get PCLinuxOS to run correctly on my machines, whereas Knoppix installed and ran beautifully.

Regardless of which route you take, good luck with your's and your friend's project.
    I installed pclinuxos because I can help him with it and because it was easy for me as my first distro. He says he doesn't really care what it looks like, all he needs are a few applications and good security.

ps - Why couldn't you get pclinuxos working? Not compatible with your hardware or something?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast