Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi, i'm new to linux and im planning on either installing Suse or Mandriva. I will be dual booting and just have a few questions. -When i install linux, will ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

partition and distro question

Hi, i'm new to linux and im planning on either installing Suse or Mandriva. I will be dual booting and just have a few questions.

-When i install linux, will the files show in windows under C: because i only have one partition? If so what can i do to make a second partition so it installs under it, because my C: doesnt show the full capacity of my hardrive, i'm missing 12 gb so i suppose i can create another somehow. I looked under "disk management" but there isnt anything.

-I know that Suse has an updater called "YaST" but what does Mandriva use to update?

If i don't seem to like the distro and want to remove it from my computer, what do i have to do?

Thank you

Welcome to the Forums!

1) You need to resize this one partition, so that you have space to create a Linux partition. In Windows, there is a program called PartitionMagic that can do this. In Linux (such as the Knoppix LiveCD), you might use the qtparted tool.

Note that before resizing the partition, you should backup important files and defragment the drive.

2) Mandriva uses a package manager called urpmi. I don't know if it has automatic updating the way that YaST does, but it certainly does work. For setting it up:

http://easyurpmi.zarb.org/

3) If you don't like the distro, you can simply wipe it out. This can be done with ANY partitioning tool, including the one on the Windows install disc.

If you want to remove Linux entirely, you will then need to restore your MBR so that your computer boots properly. This can be done by accessing a recovery console through the Windows Install Disc and executing the command:
    Code:
    fixmbr
    I am 99% sure that that's the right command, but it may not be. Should it come to removing Linux, I know that some users here have done this and can tell you exactly what to do.

If you want to simply install another distro, you can leave the MBR alone and simply run the install for a new distro, which should automatically fix the MBR.

Just Joined!
    thank you very much

When i install linux, the best is to install it on a different partition other than C: so it'll be easier to format? I have enough room to install it on my hardrive, but there is 13 gb that don't show up on my computer; i wanted to use the 13 gb for a new partition. Parition Magic will be able to do this?

oz
    forum.guy
    Quote Originally Posted by Crystal123
    thank you very much

When i install linux, the best is to install it on a different partition other than C: so it'll be easier to format? I have enough room to install it on my hardrive, but there is 13 gb that don't show up on my computer; i wanted to use the 13 gb for a new partition. Parition Magic will be able to do this?
    Welcome to the board, Crystal123!

Yes, Partition Magic can handle your partitioning if you feel unconfortable using Linux to create partitions. The 13 GB should be enough to handle your install, and SUSE and Mandriva are both very good distros for new Linux users. Everyone has different reasons for the sizes of partitions they create, but I usually use something like this:

/ (about 4 to 6 GB)
    swap (about 512 MB)
    /home (about 4 to 6 GB)
    /boot (if I use one at all, about 32 MB)

HTH...

ozar
    oz

thank you very much

Ah yes, I misunderstood.

So you've left 13 GB of free, unpartitioned space?

In this case, you can actually just pop in the Linux install CD and it will do the partitioning for you. If you'd prefer to do it in Windows using Partition Magic (as ozar suggests is possible), then make sure that you tell the installation to use those partitions.

Just Joined!
    this is odd, in partition magic it says i only have "7.8mb unallocated space"

my harddrive is 250gb but there is only 233gb shown on my C:
    I was mistaken not 13. I wanted to use that space for the linux partition, but i dont know why it is showing me this.

oz
    forum.guy
    No worry, you can use PM to shrink down the 233 GB to whatever size you want and then use the new unallocated for your Linux partitions. Be sure to defragment your drive before doing so, though.

ozar
    oz

I know that the Suse installer can resize your Windows partition during install (I believe Mandriva does the same but I am not 100% sure). So, if you don't have access to a partitioning program, you can resize it during the install.

Also, as mentioned before, back up your data first before resizing. You should defrag your drive too before partitioning.

Bryan
    Looking for a distro? Look here.
    "There can be no doubt that all our knowledge begins with experience." - Immanuel Kant (Critique of Pure Reason)
    Queen's University - Arts and Science 2008 (Sociology)
    Registered Linux User #386147.

Just Joined!
    thanks! you've all helped a lot

oz
    forum.guy
    thanks! you've all helped a lot
    Good luck with it and feel free to ask any other question you should have.

Oh, and welcome to the forums... hope you have fun here, and visit often!

ozar
    oz