Find the answer to your Linux question:
I'm curious about Linux, but don't want to actually install it, so I thought that a Live CD would be the perfect answer. Wrong. Live CDs/DVDs do not work on ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Can't use Live CDs/DVDs to try Linux ?

I'm curious about Linux, but don't want to actually install it, so I thought that a Live CD would be the perfect answer.
    Wrong.
    Live CDs/DVDs do not work on my system, and as a newbie, I'm not sure why. I have tried all the major LiveCD/DVD releases, hoping one will work. Suse 10's DVD almost did, but in the end I got the same result I've had from every other Live offering...during the kernal loading process, it completely restarts my computer. Were I not there to eject the discs, they would continue on forever, or at the least, until I didn't pay my power bill.
    Error codes or warning signs never appear, the system just reboots completely. As the different distros sometimes have boot options, I've tried "safe" (etc) hoping that would help, but nothing does.

My system must be at fault, at least, that's my assumption. You folks know what to look for, what could I and/or my system be doing wrong?

It's a Compaq SR1234NX:
    2.80 gigahertz Intel Pentium 4
    8 kilobyte primary memory cache
    512 kilobyte secondary memory cache

Board: MICRO-STAR INTERNATIONAL CO., LTD Gamila/Giovani/Neon series 030
    Bus Clock: 100 megahertz
    BIOS: Phoenix Technologies, LTD 3.11 05/17/2004

1024 Megabytes Installed Memory

Any other details I can give to help?

Thanks in advance for any thoughts or suggestions. And if this has been covered before and I missed it in the search, I apologize.

Does this happen to be a laptop by chance? If it is, try disabling acpi as one of your boot options. When you first boot the CD, it should mention how to do this as it is different from live CD to live CD.

Bryan
    Looking for a distro? Look here.
    "There can be no doubt that all our knowledge begins with experience." - Immanuel Kant (Critique of Pure Reason)
    Queen's University - Arts and Science 2008 (Sociology)
    Registered Linux User #386147.

oz
    forum.guy
    Are you burning the images yourself? If so, maybe bad burns? They've gotta be burned as images to the CD.

Have you tried using any boot options available through the F-keys before the CD actually boots, other than safe mode? You could try disabling acpi, as some users report success by doing so. You could also try some of the other boot options that are available.

Let us know...

ozar
    oz

oz
    forum.guy
    oops... bryansmith pressed the enter key before I could get mine pressed.
    oz

Just Joined!
    Thanks for the suggestions, guys.

-It's a desktop system. Quite reliable thus far.
    -The CDs are good burns, they all work in my wife's (older) Compaq.
    -I tried disabling acpi (and some distros "safe boots" do this anyway it seems?) No luck

I have no unusual hardware other than I've disabled the onboard video (shared) and installed a (gasp- PCI) GeForce FX5200, which I wouldn't consider completely crazy equipment.

Double checking my disabling of acpi using Suse (since it seems to progress the farthest), I got this far, the 'safe loading screen' before it simply rebooted once again....I'm stumped.

oz
    forum.guy
    Have you tried Knoppix, yet?

I ask that because it has some of the best hardware detection out there. If you haven't tried it, you might give it a go. You could also try DSL, which is only a minimal 50 MB download, and it's based on Knoppix.

Another option would be to try removing any hardware you can do without and then try booting again. If it boots, start putting hardware back in one piece at a time and rebooting until you find the culprit.

Hope this helps...

ozar
    oz